I made the mistake of confusing the sender of the latest reply to this thread (Bob Stern) with the O.P. (Cal), so apologies. Anyway, traffic on this list is so light, I’m not too concerned about too much posting, so please excuse me if it takes a few tries to get things right.

Cal, I went ahead and tried moving my iTunes Music folder, and it worked. However, before I get into any details, I need to let you know that I do not have the “Keep iTunes Media folder organized” item checked in my iTunes media folder. It’s quite likely that you’ll need to turn that off in order for my information to be of any use to you. As a matter of fact, as you saw already, the name of my music folder is iTunes Music, and although an iTunes Media folder does exist in my iTunes folder, it’s empty. More information is available at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668, but if your music folder is named iTunes Media, then please be aware of that difference as you consider the following information. Also, you may find that the recommendations of that article are quite sufficient for you and it may be unnecessary to try hacking your system as I describe. More in part 2.

Laine Lee