(Apologies for cross-posting)

6th International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation:
Connecting Communities, Languages & Technology

February 28-March 3, 2019
Hawai‘i Imin International Conference Center
University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
Honolulu, Hawai‘i USA

Over the past two decades endangered language documentation and conservation has (re)emerged as a distinct subfield of linguistics with its own methodology and theoretical underpinnings. This reemergence has occurred in parallel with a dramatic technological evolution which has put advanced computing tools in the hands of language documenters and those striving to reclaim and maintain endangered languages. Moreover, technology is also changing traditional user roles, blurring the lines between linguist, speaker, and activist by providing increased access to information. Digital tools have the power to greatly accelerate the language work, but the digital realm also brings new challenges for endangered languages, which sometimes struggle to thrive in a digitally-mediated world.

At ICLDC 2019 we propose to initiate a dialogue which will lead to improved connections between communities, languages, and technologies. We specifically aim to bring together three groups which have not always worked closely together, namely: linguists, language communities, and technology developers.

The conference program will feature Keynote talks, Talk Story and Workshop sessions, papers, and posters. New for 2019 is the Technology Showcase, a networking opportunity which will bring together technology developers and language community members. An optional Hilo Field Study (on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi) to visit Hawaiian language revitalization programs in action will take place immediately after the conference (March 4-5, 2019). The 3rd Workshop on Computational Methods for Endangered Languages (ComputEL-3) will take place in Honolulu immediately preceding the conference (February 26-27).

For ICLDC 6, we have two separate Calls for Proposals, which are now officially open:

For details about each Call for Proposals type and its requirements and timelines, please see the Call for Proposals section of our conference website. We look forward to your submissions and participation at the conference!

International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)
Phone: +1-808-956-9424
Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: http://icldc6.icldc-hawaii.org
ICLDC Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ICLDC/