I braved the sleet and took a walk around Occom Pond today, and the birding was spectacular. As others have reported, the ground-feeding birds are out in force, as the storm has pushed them to feeders, roadsides, and other areas where food is still accessible despite the new snow and ice cover. On my walk around the pond, I saw dozens of robins, juncos, and Song Sparrows, many of which were gathered on small strips of ground along sidewalks and edges of buildings. Lots of neat species were mixed in, including six Hermit Thrushes, one each of Vesper Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, and Palm Warbler, and at least one Brown Thrasher, maybe two. Dejected-looking phoebes foraged from low perches around the edges of the pond. An unseen Killdeer called from the snow-covered golf course, while an unseen Red Crossbill called from nearby pines. Along the small stream which flows through a meadow into the south end of the pond, a well-camouflaged Wilson’s Snipe foraged among robins and sparrows. The pond had Wood Ducks, Common Mergansers, and a Pied-billed Grebe. And before departing for my walk, I heard a singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet on campus. Full eBird list from Occom Pond here: https://ebird.org/nh/view/checklist/S44634215

Despite the weather (or, rather, because of it), it’s a great day to be out birding, especially if you don’t have to drive anywhere to do it!

Adam Burnett
Dartmouth College

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]