From: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Reasons for the existence of Language Learning Centers / Language Labs in the age of iphones, notebooks, and other portable technological devices

Dear Serafina,
The different approaches, missions, and viewpoints in the recent IALLT book that I edited show that each center is quite different. The IALLT survey(s) back that up. I summarized the findings here: http://ialltjournal.org/index.php/ialltjournal/issue/view/10<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ialltjournal.org_index.php_ialltjournal_issue_view_10&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=knjyziEDyo6PzkxSBVpEZ8Y2b7V4MOrPLXxuy41j7DY&e=>
And here: http://ialltjournal.org/index.php/ialltjournal/issue/view/29<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ialltjournal.org_index.php_ialltjournal_issue_view_29&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=skCxcJzpSf2naChOyemgHVU1J8Qz10vFoeFlU5qtMyE&e=>
I revisited the conclusion of the book and thought this paragraph might be useful:
 “In any case, the language center is poised to provide a multiplier effect for its various tasks, from research support to experimental learning/teaching space, from community of practice hub to a social environment, from curated resource center to clearing house of new technologies or innovative teaching practices. It makes possible what individual instructors cannot provide on their own. As such, the language center is more connected, more interdisciplinary, more proactive and innovative than ever before. The general direction of the evolution of the language center is clear, as the chapters of this volume put forth. We are moving away from massive technology installations to more flexible, more adaptable, more diverse spaces. Technology is not necessarily the only focus of language centers, but rather one (albeit often very important) aspect. Reinventing and reconfiguring one’s language center has become a perpetual, never-ending task for center staff in these days of ever faster technological and institutional changes.”
At my institution, this is how we interpreted what a language center is: http://rhodeslanguage.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rhodeslanguage.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=QULCEMv0rvSX5k4EhpyKFfZa-K_76bDbeOna2jvc024&e=>
This would most likely not be a good fit for a different type of institution. And even among peer institutions, the center would/should be differently interpreted and conceptualized. And we continue to reinvent ourselves. For example, in recent years we have become a 24/7 space, a makerspace, added study abroad advising and ESL tutoring, have moved our DVD collection to the library, and drastically cut down the number of computers in the LC. As a result, the center continues to be used a lot.
As far as concrete steps, I would:
- download the IALLT Language Center Evaluation Toolkit ( http://iallt.org/resources/publications/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__iallt.org_resources_publications_&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=JYRG2ChR7u-kcFJrU_qcOqTN2oUEEujd6gfGAUGFbI8&e=> ) and use it to get a sense of where the center currently is. The toolkit can be adapted to fit your specific needs. It could also form the basis of your report.
- do an anonymous survey that includes as many constituents as possible: faculty, students, staff, visitors, etc. This is a good way to find out what is working and what is not working. Programs/features/projects that are no longer relevant should probably be revisited and possibly discontinued to make resources available for projects that are more relevant. This step can also be done by a consultant.
- meet with every (if possible…) language faculty member at your institution and listen to them to find out what the center could provide for them.
- form a language center advisory group (if you haven’t already done so) that includes a diverse set of stakeholders
- revisit, reevaluate and rewrite the mission statement
- look at some of the recorded IALLT webinars dealing with language center design and management
- call some of your IALLT colleagues. (I’d be happy to chat if you think that might be helpful.)

I would use this request to justify the center as an opportunity to reinvent it. Thank you for bringing this up to everyone’s attention. As I’m writing this, I’ve already seen several responses in my inbox to your inquiry, which underscores how relevant this discussion is for many of us.

One last point: IALLT presidents in the past have written letters of support for language centers that were threatened to be closed. If you (or anyone else) would find it useful to have such a letter written on their behalf, I would definitely happy to write that as the president of IALLT.

Cheers,
Felix

---
Dr. Felix A. Kronenberg
Associate Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Director, Language Learning Center
Rhodes College

President, International Association for Language Learning Technology

http://www.felixkronenberg.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.felixkronenberg.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=CjcqwCv2jLm2Wz51q5CjZ806klbHlQ9dRVt6nAMAf_s&e=>

---

President, International Association for Language Learning Technology<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__iallt.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=jsMYqWcVczkLiHBmHIITiNWjMnLJEYv7TncTgcYiEq0&e=>

http://www.felixkronenberg.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.felixkronenberg.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=lqYMKZmc7VasLsc8PbyJ6rfS9NQh-LM4G5aAS-sCDwU&m=_9lEvxXtZnJXzCw3T6Lht3XhWBtE6Q4DkXqHMrO6aGw&s=0n6YUNi98iAOgCOZ51bEEy0QM6h0z0QZ-9TpI98UZ_Y&e=>