Welcome to DOC Elections!
Here's the info you need!

Timeline:
Monday: All blurbs go out to listservs. I will send these to you first to double-check, but they will be sent by 7pm.
Tuesday: President Voting Opens (blurbs will be attached to the voting)

Thursday: President Voting Closes, VP Voting Opens
Sunday: VP Voting Closes, Treasurer Voting Opens
Tuesday: Treasurer Voting Closes
Next Thursday: Positions Announced

General Guidlines:
- All votes must come from DOC members. I'll check these with Julie via Dash number.
- Students off campus may vote.
- Trying to keep this super casual! Everyone can do wonderful things in the DOC!

Blurbs:

President Candidates:
18S: Laura Hutchinson
18X: Ben Saccone, Sean Madden
18F: John Brady, Ben Saccone, Laura Hutchinson
19W: John Brady, Laura Hutchinson

John Brady
Hello all!
            My name is John Brady and I’m excited to be running for DOC President!  I’ve spent most of my free time in the past three years with the DOC, and I am excited for the opportunity to steward and improve an organization that I care for deeply.  I think that my extensive experience, unrelenting commitment, and purposeful vision will make me an excellent President.
            I’m currently Captain of the Woodsmen’s team and Chair of Cabin and Trail. I served three terms as DOC Treasurer, working with OPO and other DOC officers to wisely use the club’s financial resources.  I’ve spent time leading and participating in DOC break trips, leading weekend hikes, organizing social events, and beginner friendly outdoors activities.  My freshman summer was spent building trails and maintaining cabins on Trail Crew, and I look forward to directing the Crew this summer. I am confident that I have acquired the knowledge, skills, and relationships necessary to be an effective President.
            The DOC is an organization that should continue to grow and improve.  The club in recent years has come to a consensus that inclusivity and efficient systems for trip planning and leading are top priorities.  I look forward to energetically pursuing these goals, pushing for the DOC to reach out to previously under-involved portions of campus, and working on a system (hopefully a mobile application) that will streamline the various tasks that a DOC leader or trippee must undertake to organize and participate in a trip.
            The DOC’s greatest asset is its members.  They are what give the organization purpose and life.  The DOC President cannot lead the entire club on their own vision.  Instead I believe the role of the DOC President is to listen to, encourage, and guide the members of the DOC to pursue their projects for the club and for themselves.  The DOC President cannot lead the entire club on their own vision, but must instead allow the club to lead itself.  I look forward to being a President who both leads and follows, talks and listens.
            It would be an honor to give back to the organization and the people who have defined my Dartmouth experience. I hope you will vote for me for DOC President.

Sincerely,
John

Ben Saccone
One of the things I love most about Dartmouth is its relationship with the outdoors. Despite some of the challenges caused by being in such a cold climate, the DOC does a fantastic job getting people outside and active year-round. Dartmouth is lucky to be situated right on the Connecticut River, less than an hour’s drive away from the best rock climbing area in New England, surrounded by beautiful mountains for hiking, and seemingly endless trail systems for mountain biking and skiing. The landscape surrounding Hanover has so much to offer, and the DOC is great at unlocking that potential. As the DOC President, I would do my best to make sure each of these opportunities can be fully taken advantage of by the members of the DOC.
I’ve been involved with the DOC throughout my entire college career and have more recently taken on larger roles in the club. I’m the current chair of the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club (DMC), and have been since Fall term. As the chair of the DMC I’m most proud of making sure that as many people as possible have the opportunity to go out on DMC trips, and feel comfortable doing so. In the Fall I helped the DMC work towards running a second winter break trip, which expanded the number of people that could go on DMC break trips by nine spots. This term, acknowledging that it’s significantly harder to climb outside in New Hampshire in the winter, I contacted the manager of a local rock climbing gym called Evo Rock and negotiated a deal for the entire DMC. With the deal in place, members of the DOC can climb for free at the Evo Rock, as opposed to having to pay $14 per person per visit. This deal made climbing at the Evo Rock much more accessible, and as a result the DMC has averaged two trips to Evo Rock per week this term – an unprecedented number for the DMC during the winter.
I foresee many of my overarching goals as DOC President to be similar to my goals as DMC chair, but on a larger scale and involving the entire outing club. Namely, I would ensure that as many members of the club feel comfortable and confident to go out on DOC trips through outreach and availability of trips. However, running a large number of trips requires a large number of skilled leaders. I would work closely with the Outdoor Programs Office and the chairs of each DOC sub-club to ensure that the club has the leaders necessary to run a larger number of trips. For example, being certified in Wilderness First Aid is a requirement to become a leader in the DOC, but on occasion provides a barrier becoming a leader – increasing the number of times per term the class is offered on campus each term could easily change that. Through reemphasizing the importance of running trips that are accessible to everyone, I believe the DOC would more fully realize its goal as a club – to get Dartmouth students stoked on getting outside.

Laura Hutchinson
Hi all! My name is Laura Hutchinson and I’m a ’19 running for President or Vice President this coming year (18S, 19F, and 19W). I’ve been involved in the DOC since my first term here, and this organization was a huge factor in my decision to come to Dartmouth in the first place. The DOC has been an incredible community for me over the past three years- giving me lifelong friends and new skills like rock climbing, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking. I’ve found incredible mentors within the club that supported me in seeking out leadership opportunities early and often. I’ve served as chair of Winter Sports Club and Women in the Wilderness, and led Winter Sports Club’s spring break trip to Montana last year (and am planning this year’s trip to Colorado). I am a leader in training in the DMC (Mountaineering Club) and DMBC (Mountain Biking Club). This summer, I served as Vice President, and planned the Used Gear Sale and set up the Women’s and Minorities’ Leadership Funds. Many of my best moments at Dartmouth have been with the DOC- whether on a break trip to Montana or Arizona, or simply skiing some local glades in Vermont or climbing at Rumney. I’d love the opportunity to have a larger role in facilitating, making possible, and even expanding the incredible things that this community accomplishes every term.
      As president or vice president, I really hope to make this organization a place where everyone can thrive. I think one of the most unique parts of the DOC is that it simultaneously encourages complete beginners and challenges experts in a safe, fun, and positive environment. I was lucky enough to find my stride within this organization early, and have been able to learn so much in three short years. But I also recognize that this space can be somewhat inaccessible and intimidating. I think there’s a lot of room for improvement in both better advertising the existing resources and opportunities people can take advantage of through our organization, as well as making the DOC a space where anyone and everyone can feel comfortable signing up for a trip to learn something new outside. These themes of inclusivity, both socioeconomically and otherwise, are something that Directorate has been discussing over the last few years. I hope to tangibly decrease these barriers to entry into outdoor spaces through initiatives like the Used Gear Sale, and organize panel discussions and film screenings that create a genuine space for discussion. As president or vice president, I also look forward to having candid conversations about what changes you’d like to see in the DOC, and working together to create a space that everyone can feel comfortable in and make the most of during their time at Dartmouth. I’m really excited about the opportunity to tangibly give back to this organization that has given me so much. Thank you for your consideration!

Sean Madden
Hello DOC! My name is Sean Madden and I am running to be president of the DOC for 18X. I have been very involved with the DOC since my freshman fall. The DOC has made a huge impact on my Dartmouth experience and I would be very excited to help the club grow over my sophomore summer.
I have plenty of experience with the DOC that would make me a great president. I am a leader in Cabin and Trail and have participated in Ledyard for the last year and a half. Also, I am one of the co-directors for the DOC Strips program this year. My experience with CnT and Ledyard has taught me a lot about the DOC and about the people involved. My experience directing Strips has, and will continue to, familiarize me with the inner workings of the DOC and OPO.
I have a few major goals I would like to accomplish if I am elected president of the DOC. A huge reason I love the DOC is the amazing opportunities to explore the outdoors, opportunities that I never thought I would have. Backpacking in places from Hawaii to Iceland for relatively affordable prices was something I never thought I’d do. I want to expand the opportunities that students have for adventure to incredible places in the outdoors. I want to support sub-club and general DOC trips to new and exciting places. I also think Sophomore Summer is the perfect time to draw new members to the DOC. Summer in New Hampshire is beautiful, and a great time to get beginners outdoors. I will encourage and help every sub club to be as beginner friendly as possible. Inclusivity has been a large focus of mine as Strips Director, and I will continue to make it a priority during sophomore summer. Finally, I will push for the DOC leader body to be more conscious of their impact on the environment while leading trips. While the DOC tries to be environmentally conscious, it can do a better job. I have worked a considerable amount with the Appalachian Mountain Club, which sets a very high bar for environmental consciousness. I hope that my experience with the AMC will help me institute more environmentally conscious policies within the DOC. Educating leaders on principles such as Leave no Trace will go a long way to making our club as environmentally friendly as other major outdoor institutions. The DOC is important to me and I hope you will consider electing me your summer 18X president.

VP Candidates:
18S: Laura Hutchinson, Michelle Wang, Lauren Mendelsohn, Sam Seifert, Hunter Dominick
18X: Sam Seifert, Hunter Dominick
18F: Laura Hutchinson, Michelle Wang,Lauren Mendelsohn, Lily Hanig, Sam Seifert
19W: Laura Hutchinson, Michelle Wang,Lauren Mendelsohn, Lily Hanig, Sam Seifert

[...]

Lauren Mendelson
Since my freshman fall, the DOC has been by far the most important community in my life at Dartmouth.  My involvement in the DOC has taught me a great many things about leadership, responsibility, organization, friendship, and the outdoors.  It would feel wrong if I did not bring the things I have learned back to this organization.  In the past year, I have held the roles of DOC VP, chair of Cabin and Trail, and captain of the Woodsmen’s team.  While running individual sub-clubs is a fulfilling task that often results in more tangible impacts, being an officer has allowed me to make a mark on the greater legacy of the DOC, and the way in which the DOC interacts with itself, new members, and the rest of campus.  So far as VP, I have focused by energies on bringing new students to the club; fostering greater relationships between DOC sub-clubs; and trying to improve the relationship between DOC students and the Outdoor Programs Office, which is our most valuable resource.  If I were elected as VP again, I would like to continue these efforts.  Additionally, I would like to work on issues of inclusivity, risk management, stewardship, and technology for the club as a whole.  My goals include holding dinners with different student groups on campus each term, finalizing a new protocol for break trip planning, increasing dedication to environmental stewardship efforts such as trail work, and working to update the online interface between student leaders and OPO.  I would be a valuable resource as a constant during the search to find a new OPO director and fill other staff positions, as I have been informed and involved in the process since the external review last year.  To sum it up, I love the DOC, and I am eternally grateful for the experiences and friendships I have gained because of it.  I want to help make this community an open, loving, and inspiring home for everyone who wants to be a part of it.

Lily Hanig
I was chair of Women in the Wilderness for three terms, and I’m a leader in CnT, and I am currently heeler chair in CnT. This means I have lots of experience in attending Directorate, and I’m familiar with what the title of VP entails. I also did a term long statistics project on gender ratios in the DOC, so I am very familiar with the trips that go out, and I understand large scale trends in the DOC. I have lots of initiatives!! Here they are:

I plan to continue the initiatives of previous VP’s (inclusivity through Opal events, and the used gear sale). Often great initiatives can have a rocky start in their first year, which is why continuity is very important! I have great experience with advertising so I’m confident I can make events, such as a used-gear sale, a big hit!

I intend to make the DOC more accessible. Even figuring out how to get to a cabin or trailhead can be a barrier to the outdoors. I recently learned how to change directions/names/locations on google maps, so I plan to make every cabin come up on google maps for its official and colloquial name (66 lodge vs. Harris), and make each cabin/river head/ trailhead easy to find using google maps.

I will decrease waste in the DOC by three initiatives. I will work with the CO-OP and with Kathy Decato to begin bulk ordering certain items such as crack and tortillas, so that shopping becomes easier, cheaper, and more sustainable. Following that note, I intend to host info sessions on how to portion food for trips and break trips, and what to do with different types of left-over food after trips. I see huge amounts of food waste on a weekly basis throughout the club, and I want to fix this! Lastly, I plan to host Leave No Trace sessions for various leader bodies, because I am Leave No Trace certified, and I feel that LNT is an integral part of being a responsible outdoors(man/woman).

Lastly, I like to have fun!!! Which is what the DOC is all about. (Have fun first, Look good second, safety third) JUST KIDDING. But seriously. I love all-DOC events: Fall-weekend cabin overnights, roller rink formals, barbecues. I intend to organize lots of all DOC events, especially at the lodge in the Fall; I’m talking, movie nights, formals, you name it.

I hope to use the position to listen to the needs of the DOC and help the DOC continue to grow!!

Warm Regards,
Lily Hanig

Michelle Wang

Hello! I am not normally this bold with my greeting nor am I this bold in the running for things, but Cedar and Janice in the past hour have spurred me to do both these things! Please send them a strongly worded email if this seems too forward. Regardless, my name is Michelle S Wang, and I want to be a VP of the DOC!
A little bit about me: I was not made to be an outdoorsy person. My bones are weak, my lungs are small, and my sweating capacity is too damn high. Before I was 16, my outdoor experience was watching reruns of Man vs Wild. Unlike a lot of people I’ve met, I went through most of my life oblivious to the majesty of mountains and the smelliness of bandanas. This all changed however when I spent my first summer working as part of the Yellowstone Youth Conservation Corps. It was there that I bagged my first peak, chopped my first log, and ate my first bowl of instant oats. Short of dramatics, I can confidently say that my life has completely changed since I was introduced to the outdoors through Yellowstone. I’m at Dartmouth, enjoying the granite of New Hampshire, and I’ve spent the past two summers in Yellowstone and working in Vermont state parks. Life has changed, and it’s been great.
That’s why I want to be part of the DOC leadership team. I want to help people who do not feel comfortable in the outdoors (me at one point) and turn them into Nalgene drinking, spork licking kids (me now). As of now, I’m not majorly involved in any one DOC sub club, but since I got here, I’ve been trying to explore as much as I possibly can. I paddled Lake Powell with Ledyard, explored Acadia with CnT, and returned DOC gear 4 weeks late. I still don’t really know how to use my core correctly nor am I the fastest hiker, however, I am committed to continue trying these things and helping the organization that makes this all possible. I’m currently an EcoRep with the Sustainability Office and I think the philosophy of Leave No Trace camping is so cool. I’d love to educate more people about LNT and sustainability principles. That is something that I'd love to see more of incorporated into the DOC. I want to create an LNT workshop for leaders and members of all clubs specified for different activities like how to poop appropriately on a rock island or how to wash dishes in the backcountry. I'd like to see clubs emphasize sustainability and have it be something every leaders know about. Anyhow, thank you for reading my blurband please, pardon my boldness.

Sam Seifert

Hey guys! I would love to be your DOC VP because I believe in having an outdoor community that not only supports those already involved through financial need, funding, and encouragement, but also work to engage those just getting into the outdoors for the first time! While the DOC has already done an amazing job involving students I believe it has potential to grow with its big weekends and excursions involving multiple clubs. While the current separation between sub clubs has driven some fun rivalries, I am excited about the potential of cross-trips for both a more unified DOC and opportunity for students to further challenge their comfort zone and create new inter-club-bonds.
The reason I hope you will elect me is my involvement in DOC currently and past experience. I am an Eagle Scout with experience with almost every activity the DOC offers and have taken courses on risk management, group dynamics, and microagression in the outdoors. Last summer I worked as an outdoor logistic coordinator for Appalachian Mountain Club and led outdoor trips with at risk youth through their nonprofit (Youth Opportunities Program).
 At Dartmouth I have gone on break trips with Ledyard and CnT. I was a crooling for trips leading mountain biking and adventure quest. I am currently a DMBC leader and working to be a Ledyard leader. Last year me and four friends also planned and got CnT and Schlitz funding for a backpacking trip to Yosemite.
 I believe that my commitment and diversity of experience would make me a great candidate for DOC VP and work to help you get outdoors!

Hunter Dominick
I am running for DOC VP because for the past two years, the DOC has been my life. This club has given me incredible opportunities from beautiful sunrises on Moosilauke to whitewater kayaking in Ecuador to simply hanging out with friends at the weekly meetings. Now it is time for me to return the favor and help ensure the future success of the DOC. I am a leader in both Cabin and Trail and Ledyard. I have led a break trip, a weekend trip to Maine, and numerous day trips. I also directed the Fifty in 17F. I believe that my experience with the different aspects of the DOC would prove valuable as the VP as I understand how the DOC operates. As VP, I want to continue the efforts to include more members of our campus into the club. When I talk to my non-DOC friends about my adventures with the club, many of them express interest in the DOC yet are worried about their lack of experience or the time commitment. I hope to work with the other members of directorate to find a way to assuage their concerns. Perhaps we could run new-member/beginner only trips where everyone could feel comfortable and the focus is on teaching. Sometimes a normal DOC trip can unintentionally feel “cliquey” as many people tend to already know each other through other DOC activities. Similarly, I would like to have more trips and activities for the whole DOC rather than just the individual sub-clubs. For instance, my freshman fall I attended the Acadia trip with Ledyard, but CnT and DMC were also there. That weekend trip solidified my involvement with Ledyard and also introduced me to CnT as I became friends with members of that club. More inter-sub-club trips could be one step to help creating a more inclusive environment in the DOC as people are exposed to all the different sub-clubs. Another goal of mine is to promote the usage of the Second College Grant. The College owns 27,000 acres of land in northern New Hampshire, yet many of us never go there besides First Year Trips. The Grant has something for everyone and could help bring people into the club as trips in the Grant can include both beginner and advanced activities. Thank you for considering me for VP, and I hope that I will have the opportunity to continue improving the DOC.

Tresurer Candidates:

18S: Janice Kai Chen, Ethan Smith
18X: Ethan Smith
18F: Janice Kai Chen, Ethan Smith
19W: Janice Kai Chen, Ethan Smith

Janice Kai Chen
Hello friends! My name is Janice and I’m running for DOC Treasurer for the terms 18S, 18F, and 19W! Within the DOC, I mainly plan and lead break trips with Ledyard, help out at the Lodge, and go contra dancing with Emma Rieb (Hi Emma!). While I am fairly involved with these corners of the DOC, I’m interested in getting to know more parts of the club (i.e. more of you!), and especially how all the different sub-clubs connect to make up this nebulous thing that we call the DOC. I’m also incredibly grateful to the DOC for making so many trips financially accessible to students — giving back to the club is a huge motivation for me to run for DOC Treasurer.

My main goal as Treasurer is to make the DOC’s financial resources more well known to campus. I’ve talked to many students — mainly international students — who were unaware of the DOC’s financial aid program and were therefore reluctant to sign up for break trips and/or plan their own trips. It would be wonderful if we could get up to fun things with more students on campus!

Please reach out if you have any questions and have a peachy, peachy day.

P.S. My spreadsheet skills will make you believe that I have all my ducks in a row.

Ethan Smith
Like many of us, my decision to come to Dartmouth was influenced by the DOC. While I had experience in some outdoor activities, I was a complete beginner in others. The friendly culture and many opportunities provided by the club allowed me to explore new aspects of the outdoors. I am constantly reminded of the hard work members put into organizing the amazing trips that would not be possible at any other college. As an organization, one of the key components in our ability to run such great adventures is financial management. Our wealth of resources is carefully monitored and organized to provide the best means of supporting the club. However, my experience serving on directorate and working as the SPEC representative of the DOC has taught me that understanding the inner workings of the DOC budget is like trying to read the KAF menu from the end of the line. Nearly impossible. As your treasurer, I would like to serve the DOC by improving the efficiency of the allocation of funds, and making the monetary side of our club more open and understandable. Compiling all endowments and special funds in the DOC and communicating their purposes and requirements in simple and concise language will allow us to provide the funds to the members that need them. My endless, unwavering passion for Excel spreadsheets will aid me along the way. I like my spreadsheets like I like my wine, multilayered and complex. I will analyze current points of inefficiency and work with OPO and the DOC towards continued improvement. I will hold discussions with leaders and members of each club to learn about the priorities and concerns of our members, so I can ensure that every sub-club receives the resources they require to operate at their fullest potential. And I will finally open the Sphinx to the public to confirm the secret swimming pool. Just kidding, but I will build upon the great work of past members to make getting outside easier. I wish to help all of us enjoy the outdoors on our campus, across the country, and around the globe.
TL;DR I love to get outside, and I love getting others outside.
Yours in the out-of-doors,
Ethan

If you have any questions/comments please direct them to [log in to unmask]

Sign up to get financial aid on any DOC-related activity: http://outdoors.dartmouth.edu/opo/finaid.html