Hey Dartmouth!

Recently, there have been some pretty polarizing conversations happening on campus regarding gender in outdoor leadership.  Gender issues in outdoor leadership are not just a problem at Dartmouth, but also in the greater outdoor sports community, and they deserve to be addressed.  The DOC would like to take this opportunity to host a discussion on the current gender divides in outdoor technical leadership in order to bring these issues to light, and to work through their sources, nuances, and solutions.

GENDER DYNAMICS IN OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP DISCUSSION

Wednesday (2/21) @ 8:30 pm in Fairchild 101

This conversation will start off with a series of stories and essays written and read by members of our community.  These pieces will focus on how gender has impacted each individual's experience in outdoor leadership in a different way.  Following the pieces, we will have small and larger group discussions focusing on questions surrounding the DOC and the greater Dartmouth community, including the following:

  • What is the difference in leadership roles that men and women tend to take on in the DOC?
  • How can we bridge the gap between beginner and advanced level female technical leadership?
  • What role can men take to support female empowerment in the DOC?
  • How have highly skilled female leaders in the DOC gotten to where they are now?
  • How can we make the DOC a more open and welcoming community to people of all backgrounds?

We truly hope that this event can bring together people of all different opinions and experiences.  Everyone is invited, regardless of prior outdoor leadership experience.  This event is NOT just for women!  We firmly believe that this is a conversation that deserves to be had and acted upon.

Hope to see you there,

Lauren Mendelsohn

DOC Vice President

Sign up to get financial aid on any DOC-related activity: http://outdoors-dev.dartmouth.edu/opo/finaid.html