Just a final reminder - the extended deadline for the CILC 4 Call for Abstracts is Monday, February 19...

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

FOURTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTERACTIVITY, LANGUAGE & COGNITION

1–5 AUGUST 2018

UNIVERSITY OF HAWAI‘I AT MĀNOA

HONOLULU, HAWAI‘I, USA

EDUCATIONAL ENSKILLMENT, EVENT AND  ECOLOGY

CONFIRMED INVITED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

  • Roger Ames, Beijing University, China
  • Stephen Cowley, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
  • Graham Crookes, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, USA
  • Hannele Dufva, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
  • Andrew Lambert, College of Staten Island, CUNY, USA
  • Li-Hsiang Lisa Rosenlee, University of Hawai‘i–West O‘ahu, USA
  • Sune Steffensen, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
  • Paul Thibault, University of Agder, Kristiansand, Norway
  • Steven Thorne, Portland State University, USA
  • Li Wei, University College London, UK
  • Chuming Wang, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, China

The theme of CILC4 2018 is Educational Enskillment, Event, and Ecology. These intersecting ideas converge on how processual events sustain human and community becoming. In addition to addressing these issues, we welcome papers that discuss how Eastern and Western assumptions about knowledge and becoming can be linked, and how such links may be fruitfully exploited in theory and practice. Thus, in Chinese philosophy there is a reciprocal metaphor that connects the cosmos and the body through Qi, an energetic flow that operates on different scales. In the West, proponents of 4E cognition (Embodied, Embedded, Extended, Enactive) are increasingly preoccupied with ideas that share similar assumptions. We propose to explore Qi in both its holistic macro and micro potentials and ask how concepts like ecosystems, events, and Qi, contribute to our understanding of languaging, thinking, and feeling.

We encourage submissions on how these ideas inform educational practices (e.g., project-based, place-based language learning or instruction) and wider investigations of how humans can re-establish harmony with their ecology. We welcome participation from psychology, philosophy, cognitive archaeology, semiotics, applied and general linguistics, translation, literature, communication, business, education and related fields.

Papers can be submitted either as an oral or electronic poster presentation. Abstracts (maximum 300 words) submission will be open soon and should be submitted by 19 February 2018 (extended deadline). Speakers will be notified by 1 March 2018. Proposals are also invited for thematic workshops/ panels/ symposia. Primary language of submission is English.

For abstract submission system & instructions, visit http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/cilc4/index.php/call-for-proposals/

National Foreign Language Resource Center
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
1859 East-West Road #106
Honolulu, HI  96822-2322
Phone: 808-956-9424
NFLRC YouTube channel:  http://www.youtube.com/user/nflrchawaii
NFLRC listserv: http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/about/11/

Are you an ACTFL member interested in Project-Based Language Learning?
Sign up to support the creation of a new PBLL SIG:
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/about/12/