From: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Andree, Erica A. [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Short-term intensive language study

I am seeking examples of short-format language-related courses—whether successful or unsuccessful, effective or ineffective, language or culturally focused.

We are shifting our academic calendar from a 4-1-4 format with 2 week/2 credit January term to a 4-4-1 format with 3 week/4 credit May term.  Our language faculty have historically eschewed teaching language courses during the 2 week January term, opting instead to offer occasional travel courses (i.e. Culinary tour of Paris).  The argument is that language cannot be taught effectively in a short, intensive format.

What do you think?  Please share examples of short-format language courses as well as your observations or experience of their efficacy.

Best regards,
Erica

Erica Andree  | Interim Director | Tutoring and Learning Center
Director | Center for Languages and International Collaboration
Pacific University | 2043 College Way | Forest Grove, OR 97116