Devaki Ghose (Dartmouth Visiting PhD Student) will present:
"Identifying Vertical Linkage in Agglomeration: Empirical Evidence from India"
at 12:15pm on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 in (051 Buchanan) Volanakis - TUCK
Lunch will be served at noon.

If you will be attending the Lunch Seminar please RSVP to Doreen Aher at TUCK so she can order the appropriate amount of food.

ABSTRACT:

I estimate the contribution of vertical linkage (the linkage between input suppliers and output producers) in the spatial agglomeration of industries by studying the location patterns of Information Technology (IT) firms and Technical Colleges that supply workers to these firms. I use two novel instruments to causally identify the effect of firm location on college location, and the effect of college location on firm location. I find that a 1% increase in number of firms leads to a 1.05% increase in colleges. In the other direction, a 1% increase in a district's labor supply of college graduates increases firm entry by 4.16%. I write a structural model to understand the mechanisms behind my findings.