My two cents on bird numbers this fall: I was surprised at the concern this fall in lower bird numbers. I hadn't noticed much change from other years while birding my favorite spots in Orford and the UV in general. BUT, I put my feeders out on Thanksgiving as I usually do and after a few days, understood the concern. Usually after a few hours, or a day at the most, the chickadees and blue jays at least would show up. I haven't seen a single bird at my feeders yet! I agree with others that have suggested that the birds are finding plenty to eat in the woods and fields, they just aren't coming to our feeders right now. When we get some measurable snow, I think the birds will be back at our feeders in expected numbers.