Like many schools, KU uses the SPEAK Test to evaluate the English speaking proficiency of prospective international GTAs.  We have historically administered the exam once the students arrive on campus, which means that academic departments may have a GTA whose funding gets pulled because they are unable to pass the test.  As you can imagine, the departments want to find a way to get people qualified as early as possible to avoid these last minute staffing/funding issues.

Are there any schools administering tests like the SPEAK Test remotely?  I can imagine using Zoom/Skype and screen sharing to administer the test, but the high stakes of the exam would seem to invite cheating.  I also have some concerns that requiring access to a computer and an internet connection may create a two-tiered system that advantages those from more affluent backgrounds.  My guess is that most schools are following a similar model to ours (testing students once they get to campus), but information on other approaches would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Jonathan Perkins, Director

Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center

University of Kansas