I passed this thread on to our SPEAK administrator, who noted that he had been contacted  by someone from Wichita State University. I paste part of that communication below. I don’t think it gets around the proctoring issues involved in administering the test in a foreign country.

--Judy Shoaf, University of Florida, Gainesville

Here at WSU we have made an entirely web-based SPEAK test.  ETS has granted permission to use the materials and it’s free.  We have also developed a model for its future replacement.   Our Internet version of the test displays the booklet while automatically synchronizing the audio prompts, preparation intervals, and speaking sections.  The students' spoken responses are stored on a server which then displays them onto a screen for grading.   Everything is compact, no CDs or PDF files.

The design for our future test uses authentic, contemporary media (videos, graphs, realia) and has some basic tasks that play a part in how the speaker organizes his or her response to the prompts.  Initial tests with our higher level students have gone well.  I also recently demonstrated the work at TESOL and would like to take it a step further.  The rating system for the test is also paperless.  The new method has yielded very good results and favorable comments from our teachers.

We are looking for peer institutions with which to work and would like to know if you are interested.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Andy Bowman

Intensive English Language Center

Wichita State University