Dear Colleagues,

As you may be aware, Dartmouth's rate agreement with the government expired on 6/30/2017.   In late June, we submitted a request for a rate extension and proposed an increase in a provisional rate for FY2019 and beyond.       I am pleased to report that the government has accepted our proposed rate agreement extension and awarded a higher provisional rate.

FY2018:   Research rate remains at 62%
FY2019:   Research rate increases to 64%.   Please use this rate for any competing submissions with start dates on or after July 1, 2018.

The rate agreement has yet to be signed.   For submissions prior to our receipt of a rate agreement, please use "pending" as the rate agreement date.

FAQ:

I just submitted a proposal for a new award that starts after 7/1/2018  and used 62%.  Does this mean that the award will be made at 62%?  No, the awarding agency will need to adjust to 64% at the time of award.   The awarding agency typically confirms the rate in place at the time of award.  In addition, OSP will have the opportunity to work with the agency to correct awards if awarded at the wrong rate.

Should I try to correct applications that were recently submitted?   No.   See answer above.   The application of the correct rate can also be managed at the time of award.

Should I modify proposals that are being submitted in the near future to reflect the new rate?  Yes, please make changes to the F&A rate for competing research proposals in the near future.

Does the rate apply to industry sponsors?  Yes.  Please use 64% for all industry sponsored research agreements.

Does the rate apply to non-competing continuations previously awarded under the old rate of 62%?  No.   The awarding agency will not make additional funds available to cover the increase.

A sponsor has called me with a question about the new rate?  Please refer them to OSP.

When will Dartmouth receive an actual rate agreement document?  It could take several months.   The cognizant audit agency is short staffed.  There is no need to panic.  Please use the new rate now on all competing applications that start after 7/1/2018.   OSP will refer questions as needed to the cognizant agency.

Jill M. Mortali
Director
Office of Sponsored Projects
Dartmouth College