Justin Pierce (Federal Reserve Board) will present:
"Trade Liberalization and Mortality: Evidence from U.S. Countries"
at 12:15pm on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 in (051 Buchanan) Volanakis - TUCK
Lunch will be served at noon.

If you will be attending the Lunch Seminar please RSVP to Doreen Aher at TUCK so she can order the appropriate amount of food.

Please sign up for a meeting or dinner at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VIXRykgWtXWExlxhg5SYD_LB4sw6GM0IBlphsx7iPP8/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

We investigate the impact of a large economic shock on mortality. We find that countries more exposed to a plausibly exogenous trade liberalization exhibit higher rates of suicide and related causes of death, concentrated among whites, especially white males. These trends are consistent with our finding that more-exposed countries experience relative declines in manufacturing employment, a sector in which whites and males are disproportionately employed. We also examine other causes of death that might be related to labor market disruption and find both positive and negative relationships. More-exposed countries, for example, exhibit lower rates of fatal heart attacks.