Hello Susan,

I didn't get around to responding earlier, but when I just checked eBird I realized that I had to. The link below shows all sightings for the past 20 years. Just south of yours is one that I entered on May 2nd of 2009, so while they may be more common and vocal earlier in the year, don't discount what you heard (esp. in light of Marcia Cowles Bushnell report from Strafford earlier this month).

<http://ebird.org/ebird/map/grhowl?bmo=1&emo=12&byr=1998&eyr=2017&env.minX=-72.972&env.minY=43.222&env.maxX=-72.204&env.maxY=43.962&gp=true>

For me, the Great-horned call is a distinctively low tone. If you listen to some recordings (link below) and hear what you heard, that should be helpful. The one I heard (only one at this location in 18 years) caught me by surprise - and was only on one evening at about dusk. I remember it well. The only other Norwich report since 2000 was in July 2015, by a woman who knows the species well.

Here are 86 different recordings of spring Great-horned Owls that you can listen to for free:

<https://ebird.org/media/catalog?date.beginMonth=3&searchField=species&date.beginYear=1900&date.endYear=2017&taxonCode=grhowl&view=Gallery&action=show&date.yearRange=YALL&date.endMonth=5&onlyUnrated=false&date.monthRange=M3TO5&start=0&count=30&mediaType=Audio&sort=upload_date_desc&q=Great%20Horned%20Owl%20-%20Bubo%20virginianus&species=Great%20Horned%20Owl%20-%20Bubo%20virginianus>

Best wishes for hearing it again!

Doug