Red-shouldered hawks, which arrived last week, are courting—a lot of
screaming and diving—above Coyote Hollow. First purple finches since
October appeared at the feeders this morning. Song sparrows and tree
sparrows are moving in more or less opposite directions in my front yard,
pausing momentarily to feed. Phoebes, which arrived four days ago, call
incessantly from the barn porch. Pileateds are noisy again and turkey
vultures, which have nested for many years in the jumble of rocks on the
hillside west of the house, are passing back and forth over the wetlands.
The other evening, wild turkey strutted his stuff in the middle of Five
Corners Road; a demure hen, screen by alder and hazelnut, watched from the
sidelines.

Pomfret yesterday: Saw my fist tree swallow of the year. Killdeer and
woodcock are calling and preforming. And a fly over merlin and Cooper's
hawk.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]