Audrey: This is a tricky area- Most video games consoles have regional
encoding. The main regions are: Japan and Asia- NTSC-J, North and South
America- NTSC-U, Europe, New Zealans and Australia-Pal, and China- NTSC-C.
Some Regional lockouts have also been achieved with software
authentication, slot/pin changes, Cartridge/case differences, and IP
blocking.  According to wikipedia, All playstation 3 games are region free-
but some individual publishers have chosen to region lock certain games.
Microsoft Xbox and Xbox360 are region locked BUT the Xbox one is not region
blocked- but again individual games may be encoded. Your best bet would
probably be Xbox one or playstation-3. That being said- my son regularly
plays japanese games before they are made available here using computer
proxy sites- that takes up a lot of computer space and he regularly deletes
to make more room. Many of the international games do have different
characters, content and locations so it would no doubt be a good learning
experience