Dear colleagues,

I’ve been thinking lots, lately, about what kinds of vessels we don’t have many of from the Greek Bronze Age. One of the most obvious examples is plates and platters; there are plenty later, but they don’t seem to be terribly common in clay in the BA Aegean. Presumably, they must also have existed in other materials (I’d expect wooden ones, in particular). I’ve seen references to one, presumably clay, from a Middle Helladic grave at Mycenae (in, of all things, a list of slides offered for sale in the Journal of Hellenic Studies of 1920), and an LH IIIA platter from Athens (Iakovidis 2006, 280), and an unpainted LH IIIA2 example from Mycenae (French 1965, 190). From Crete, I’ve seen references to ceramic ones from the EBA (Branigan 1975, 40) and stone from the LBA (Rehak and Younger 2000, 255).

Unfortunately, while word searches on “platter” return relatively few results, word searches on “plate” return a vast number of false positives, which isn’t better. I’m clearly missing a lot of relevant references, and because this isn’t my main project and is more of a matter of vague curiosity, I thought I’d ask if anyone had any helpful bibliographic recommendations.

Many thanks (and apologies if you see this twice – I’m posting to both Aegeanet and Ancient Food Tech),

Julie

--

Julie Hruby

Assistant Professor of Classics

Dartmouth College

HB 6086

Hanover, NH 03755

(603) 646-2910

To unsubscribe from the ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH