Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - LLTI Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Well, here are a few photos of our “new” room and our still-used Sanako classroom, adjacent to it.

The “new” Language Studio has 2 computer stations, a video station, plus a sort of mobile podium. It has about 30  mobile chairs, plus mobile  tables, partitions, & glass dry-erase boards. In one photo about half the room is being used by a tiny Turkish class and, on the other side of some partitions, a larger Sign Language conversation group. In another photo, you can see the same area reconfigured for a single large group (I think it was a club meeting). A third photo shows a different part of the lab. Uses:

·         Small classes (up to 6 students) who are assigned the corner with the big monitor for the instructor to use as a podium. We have 6 laptops for class use if needed.

·         Conversation groups, ranging from impromptu to scheduled to required course “labs”.

·         Language club meetings.

·         Group video viewing on the big screen (in the evenings when not much else is going on).

·         Individual students doing  assignments (we have some of their media and also allow limited free printing for language-related work).

·         This semester, one large class (23) where we push all the partitions aside and arrange the tables so that students can see the monitor.   This basically excludes other uses.

The other room (where the Yoruba teacher is working in the photo) seats 30 at audio-interactive (!!!) computers in rigid booths. The only class that meets there regularly is a French pronunciation course, but it is used for speaking tests and info gap activities. I currently have 3 different instructors doing data collection for various projects there. Also, it soaks up the overflow from the Studio, in terms of students who just want to work on a computer assignment.

We also have a room with 30 computers around the walls and somewhat mobile tables in the middle, which is booked for classes, really monopolized by a few instructors, not so much for the computers as for the flexibility of the space. My recommendation: take a space rated for 40 people and design in it a facility for 30.

The thing about computers is that most students have more tech in their pockets than we have in a room of 30 stations. You need computers for special uses but for everyday language classes you need to be able to move a bit. The “active learning” space (the Studio) is really what language instructors have been wanting for as long as I have been in this job or longer. The ability of students to get up, form small groups, etc. is the most important thing. Ergonomics not high-tech?

Judy