This morning I took a stroll through Paradise Park at Lake Runnemede in Windsor, VT. Things got exciting right off the bat as I heard the calls of a Blackbird as I got out of my car in the Price Chopper parking lot across from the park. To my surprise I discovered it was a RUSTY BLACKBIRD. The bird was more proportionally similar to a Red-winged Blackbird than a Common Grackle. It was mostly a dark brownish color while the wings and tail appeared more blackish. There was a faint dark eye line and the eye had a light colored iris. The bill was smaller and thinner than that of a Grackle and the tail was much shorter than that of a Grackle as well. I only managed a couple of IDable photos before the bird flew off to the east over Price Chopper. This is by far my latest sighting of this species.
https://flic.kr/p/QriAa7
https://flic.kr/p/QriA9W

Later, while walking the trail that connects the main dike of the lake to the Constitution House, I heard the unmistakable calls of a Wren. While expecting a Carolina, I was pleasantly surprised to find a WINTER WREN instead. It came in very close where I got some good photos to confirm the ID.
https://flic.kr/p/QriA9A

Another interesting sight was a major congregation of Woodpeckers. Near the entrance of the park I found 4 Downy Woodpeckers, 2 Hairy Woodpeckers, one Red-bellied and one Northern Flicker all in one small area.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee, NH

Sent from my iPhone

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]