Hello folks,
This is my first submission to the Upper Valley listserv. I'm making my debut in regards to a juvenile GREAT CORMORANT that made an appearance to Lake Runnemede in Windsor, VT this afternoon. Not only a good bird, but an interesting sighting.
I watched this bird fly in to the lake around 4:45pm from the gazebo on the edge of the lake. I watched it swimming and diving for a few minutes before I continued my walk around the park before the sun set. After completing the loop I returned to the gazebo in hopes the bird would be in a better position for photos. Initially it appeared as if the bird was gone, but after a minute (around 5:55pm) the bird was seen flying overhead this time being chased by a Double-crested Cormorant. The birds flew over the lake several times, at one point passing only 20' or so over my head (the Great Cormorant was impressively large at that close range). Finally the Great Cormorant landed in an Oak Tree and the Double-crested soon followed. The bird may have been roosting for the night and might be findable tomorrow morning.
Here are some photos I managed despite the lack of good lighting due to the late time of day:
https://flic.kr/p/MTaPQg
https://flic.kr/p/MTaPPz
https://flic.kr/p/MTaPPp
https://flic.kr/p/MTaPP4

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee, NH

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]