From: Hanover Conservancy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, September 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Alert - Trescott Water Supply Lands CLOSED

land and water in our community

September 26, 2016

Help us keep Hanover healthy and green

TRESCOTT LANDS CLOSED

Effective immediately, the Trescott Water Supply Lands are closed to all users except hunters.

A variety of public use violations over the past weekend has forced the Hanover Dept. of Public Works to close the lands to recreation at least through Dec. 15. The Conservancy's Oct. 15 Forest Ecology Tour will proceed by special permission. The property will remain open for deer hunting.

In deciding to open these lands to the public last winter, the Trescott Company board made clear that its top priority remains providing safe drinking water. The other priority is forest management – including wildlife – to promote clean water. Public recreation must remain a lower priority.

Clear rules for public use were widely publicized, including that the reservoirs and their 250′ buffers stay permanently closed to the public; that dogs are permitted only if leashed at all times; and that the property is to be multi-use, including deer hunting.

Unfortunately, over the Sept. 24 weekend, people were observed kayaking and fishing in the reservoirs, running dogs off leash, and harassing hunters who had been invited onto the property to help control the oversized deer population.

Because we know this will disappoint many (no one more than us!), we are providing a detailed explanation here.

71 Lyme Road   |   Hanover, NH 03755   |   (603) 643-3433  | (603) 643-3433 [log in to unmask]

www.hanoverconservancy.org

This