To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

* DCAL's Learning Community for Future Faculty - Looking for a teaching
position *

Monday, August 8, 2016
12:00pm - 1:00pm
DCAL, 102 Baker Library
Please register: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/calendar/gradstudies/?cid=221&t=d&d=2016-08-08&cal%5B%5D=221

In order to cultivate a community focused on teaching and learning
amongst graduate students and postdocs, DCAL has established a Learning
Community for Future Faculty (LCFF). The focus of this group is to share
the rewards and challenges of college teaching, while digging a bit
deeper into best practices and techniques for teaching.  The LCFF will
meet monthly on the 2nd Monday of the month.  In August we'll talk about
looking for a teaching position.  Bring your laptops and a friend from
your department and we'll see what's posted and what the teaching
responsibilities might be.

* Job Market, Dissertation, and Mentoring Support *

NCFDD August Newsletter
Job Market, Dissertation, and Mentoring Support

Dear Cynthia,

A Note from Kerry Ann

August has arrived and you know what that means: time to ramp up for a
new Academic Year. Last year at this time, we had just trained a group
of professors to be our Campus Workshop Facilitators, which greatly
increased our ability to offer on-campus workshops all across the
country. This month, we're celebrating our new cohort of Faculty Success
Program Head Coaches (pictured here) and the addition of 18 new FSP
coaches to our existing roster so that we are ready to serve an even
larger number of faculty members in our upcoming bootcamps!

Our new Faculty Success Program Head Coaches
In addition to expanding our group of Faculty Bootcamp coaches, we've
also just finished our largest 14-Day Writing Challenge ever where we
had 1,885 academic writers experimenting with a daily writing habit. It
was awesome to see the whirlwind of manuscripts and proposals moving out
the door. We're also in the midst of completing the summer sessions of
the Faculty Success Program and Dissertation Success Program where we've
supported a community of 1,076 bootcampers and alumni through 12 weeks
of writing! And because all that writing and productivity has been
accompanied by full nights of sleep and weekends off, we're wrapping up
the summer feeling rejuvenated!

How are YOU feeling heading into the new academic year? Are you feeling
energized or exhausted? Are you feeling empowered by all of the progress
you've made on your writing projects this summer or overwhelmed by guilt,
frustration and disappointment over another summer of not meeting your
writing goals? Have you spent your summer writing or has it been spent
repeating deep patterns of procrastination, avoidance, and denial?

No matter how you're feeling heading into the new academic year, we've
got resources to support you this month. Our core curriculum webinar
this month, Cultivating Your Network of Mentors, Sponsors, and
Collaborators, will focus on improving and expanding your professional
relationships.

Plus, we're so excited to be offering programs specifically for graduate
students this month! Our feature article (below) explains how to finish
a dissertation. We've opened up registration for the fall session of the
Dissertation Success Program, and we're kicking off a multi-week course
with Dr. Karen Kelsky of The Professor Is In on How to Navigate the
Academic Job Market. The course will walk participants through the
conditions of the current American job market, the most common mistakes
made by job-seekers, and the ways to maximize your chances of success
while looking for a tenure-track job.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and that this month's
resources will help you to transition into the new academic year!

Warmly,

Kerry Ann Rockquemore, PhD
President and CEO
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity

Fall Faculty Bootcamp: Join the Waitlist!

If you would still like to join our Fall Bootcamp, we've opened up a
waiting list! Click here to add your name and receive priority if any
additional seats become available. If you want to learn more about the
program, and read about how the program helped professor Abigail
Engelbert (Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University)
prioritize and increase her productivity, click here.

Dissertation Success Program Registration Is Open!

Do you need to finish your dissertation this fall? The Dissertation
Success Program is designed for doctoral candidates who are focused on
finishing their dissertation. Click here to read how the program helped
Sara Young (University of California, Irvine) develop habits to support
her in completing and defending her dissertation proposal.

Institutional Membership

Welcome to our newest Institutional Members: Old Dominion University and
the University of Illinois at Chicago.  Click here to read more, and
find out how to bring NCFDD Institutional Membership to your campus.

Upcoming Training

Core Curriculum Webinar
This month’s core curriculum webinar, Cultivating Your Network of
Mentors, Sponsors & Collaborators, will help you map your current
mentoring network, identify your unmet needs, and plan how to expand
your existing network to meet your current needs.

August Multi-Week Course
This month, Dr. Karen Kelsky of The Professor Is In will teach How to
Navigate the Academic Job Market. The course will walk participants
through the conditions of the current American job market, the most
common mistakes made by job-seekers, and the ways to maximize chances of
success while looking for a tenure-track job.

Upcoming On-Campus Workshops

This month, we’ll be giving a campus workshop at the University of Notre
Dame. Click here to read more.

Recently Published by Bootcamp Alumni

This month, we’re featuring FSP Alum Professor Forrest Stuart’s (University
of Chicago) “Down, Out & Under Arrest: Policing and Everyday Life in
Skid Row”. Click here to read more.

Have You Visited the Career Center Lately?

This month, our featured listing is for the Director for Academic
Affairs at Bowdoin College. The Dean will serve as a champion for
scholarly excellence and supports the faculty, partnering with the
president and other senior leaders. Click here to read more.

Feature Article

How To Finish Your Dissertation
In this month’s feature article, Kerry Ann Rockquemore shares
information and advice on how to finish a dissertation. Click here to
read more.

Click here to read the full NCFDD August Newsletter online.

National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
www.FacultyDiversity.org

* GRAD Student Communications Coordinator - needed *

GRAD Student Communications Coordinator
Job description

Category: Part-time (15-18 hrs a week)
Pay Rate: $13.00 per hour
Department: School of Graduate & Advanced Studies
Reports to: Assistant Dean of Graduate Student Affairs, Kerry Landers

Position Description:
The Communications Coordinator is tasked with website development and
maintenance, photo and video production, and maintaining all social
media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, & Flickr) for the
School of Graduate & Advanced Studies.

Key Accountabilities:
I.	Conducts interviews of various students, faculty, and administrators
for informational and promotional videos
II.	Works closely with the Communications & Outreach Coordinator,  to
plan, analyze, and grow media presence for the GRAD School.
III.	Takes photos and videos of Dartmouth College campus— photos to be
uploaded to the GRAD School Flickr account, and video used when
appropriate. These photos will also be used for the entry-way digital
slideshow.
IV.	Connects with the Graduate Student Council to photograph and
document various student events taking place throughout the year.
V.	Attends Dartmouth’s monthly/bimonthly Social Media Workgroup meeting
VI.	Attends GSC Meetings to stay current of upcoming events
VII.	Touch base and coordinate with GSC Communications Chair and WebTeam
for publicizing upcoming graduate student events and activities
a.	2016-17 Communications Chair

Miscellaneous:
I.	Performs other administrative duties as assigned
II.	Weekend/evening work is often necessary, specifically at certain
times of the year

Qualifications:
Skills and knowledge
I.	Must be a current social media user and knowledgeable in platforms we
use
II.	Smart-phone owner preferred
III.	Ability and interest in tracking social media analytics and metrics
in order to grow online presence
IV.	Excellent oral and written communication skills
V.	Familiarity with video and photography editing software such as Final
Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite
VI.	Strong interpersonal skills and ability to motivate and work
effectively with groups and individuals
VII.	Ability to organize, coordinate, and manage multiple projects
simultaneously

Experience
Experience with social media marketing
Photography and camera skills preferred
Experience in shooting and editing video preferred

Education
I.	BA/BS

To Apply:
If you are interested in the position, please send a resume, cover
letter, and a list of three references to [log in to unmask]
Please note, the Communications Coordinator must be an enrolled graduate
student in good academic standing at Dartmouth, possessing strong
organizational and interpersonal skills, and a high level of personal
and intellectual maturity. Graduate students on full stipend cannot
apply. This is a one-year position with potential to renew.