See this paper about shellfish processing in Senegal for trade purpose: Hardy,
K. et al. Shellfishing and shell midden construction in the Saloum Delta,
Senegal, Journal of Anthropological Archaeology, Volume 41, March 2016,
Pages 19-32.
I tried to send the PDF but apparently it was rejected by the list

Shira