Way off track, coming as it does from Canada, but I guess you've looked
at pemmican and akutaq.  Hunter and gatherer food. I don't know if the
fats were rendered. Whipped? Does that imply rendering?

Also, storage in bladders, udders, intestines? Of course, the climate in
northern Canada is a bit cooler than the Biblical world, but in India
butter is rendered to ghee; does that make it keep better in the heat?

Eve

Toronto

On 24/07/2016 5:23 PM, Barnea Levi Selavan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you want the list more active, I thought I would share a quick update.
>
> I am writing an MA thesis on ancient animal fat at Tel Aviv University
> under Profs. Oded Lipschits and Ran Zadok, triggered by residual
> analysis showing stored animal fat from circa 3000 years ago.
>
> In November 2014, when I got the topic and broached the question, some
> of you made helpful comments with examples and references to consult,
> many of which are already included in my text - thank you!
>
> The disciplines involved are archaeology beginning with prehistory.
> diet. Bible, nutrition, the different qualities of fat from different
> parts of the body, and from different animals; Ancient Near East
> texts, Mesopotamian medicinal prescriptions, Egyptian prescriptions;
> Greek and Roman texts as examples, anthropological examples from
> different societies, how they use fat, store fat, and how they relate
> to fat.
>
> Currently I am looking at the range of potential containers for fat,
> the vessels used in Amenhotep III's palace, the finds in the Judean
> Shephela, and so on.
>
> I saw a suggestion of fat being stored in leaves and kept dry and
> cool, but I seek sources.
>
> I have also reviewed some techniques of rendering, and it does not
> seem like something ancient man and certainly Bronze and Iron Age man
> could not master. But I seek sources.
>
> The symphony is gradually coming together.
>
> So again, your help is welcomed regarding ancient methods for
> rendering and storing fat, textual references, more anthropological
> references, and so on.
>
> This fat is not inert...
>
> Yours,
>
> Barnea Levi Selavan