VCE just concluded its second field visit to our long-term study site on the Mansfield ridgeline. John Lloyd, Susan Hindinger and I arrived on Wednesday evening and set 17 mist nets, running them until dark. Although the dusk chorus was a bit quieter than expected, a dozen or so Bicknell's Thrushes (BITH) sounded off with songs and calls. As is typical for early in the breeding season (though we've rarely been up there in late May), a flurry of courtship flight songs erupted as darkness fell. As I closed nets, several males launched into the sky 50+ feet above me and sang vigorously, tracing large circles as they flew. Although over in a matter of minutes, it was one of the best flight song bouts I've ever witnessed.

Yesterday was perfect netting weather, with pleasant temperatures and not a breath of wind. The dawn chorus was solid, dominated by robins, BITH and White-throated Sparrows. However, overall activity, judging from both vocalizations and net captures, was lower than expected. It's still early in the season, so time will tell. Observations included:

Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     singing downslope
Blue-headed Vireo  1     singing
Common Raven  2
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Winter Wren  3     singing
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Bicknell's Thrush  12     at least 10 singing, others calling
Swainson's Thrush  4     2 singing, 2 calling
American Robin  7     4 singing
Blackpoll Warbler  13     12 singing males, 1 female nest-building
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  7     singing
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  5     singing
White-throated Sparrow  10     8 singing
Purple Finch  1     singing
Pine Siskin  5     flock calling in flight; other smaller flocks seen, but not counted separately

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S30038173

Our netting produced a respectable 43 captures, with few birds showing signs of active nesting. One female robin (a return bird from 2015) was the only individual with a fully-developed incubation patch, while a female Blackpoll Warbler with an egg in her oviduct surprised us.

Our capture tally:

Sharp-shinned Hawk   1 male
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  1
Bicknell's Thrush  8 (4 new, 4 returns from previous years)
Swainson's Thrush  8 (7 new, 1 return)
American Robin  2 (new male, return female)
Black-and-white Warbler  1 yearling male
Blackpoll Warbler  5 (3 males [1 return], 2 females)
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5 (3 males, 2 females)
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  4 males
White-throated Sparrow  5
Pine Siskin  2 juveniles, but w/flight feathers fully grown,so not necessarily local

We found two nests, one American Robin (presumably with eggs, too high to view) and one Blackpoll Warbler in late stages of construction. Only a single red squirrel showed itself.

We'll be back up there weekly through late July, and I hope to report more "normal" numbers of birds over the next couple of weeks.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x1
http://vtecostudies.org/

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]