With rain holding off until ~9 am, 8 hardy souls joined John Lloyd and me
early this morning at the Mystery Trail, site of VCE's new citizen science
project on color-banded Gray Catbirds (GRCA) and Song Sparrows (SOSP).
Although activity was a bit quiet overall - and no Golden- or Blue-winged
Warblers were found - we managed to mist net and uniquely color band
another GRCA (our 8th) and resight one male of each species: GRCA
green-orange(left)/red-aluminum(right) and SOSP blue-aluminum
(left)/red-white(right).

We also mist-netted a Red-eyed Vireo, Willow/Alder Flycatcher (both species
were heard singing, and they are indistinguishable in the hand), a male
American Redstart, and 6 Am. Goldfinches. A White-throated Sparrow nest
that had 4 eggs on May 17 today contained 1 egg and 3 newly-hatched chicks.

We'll plan at least one more workshop within the next couple of weeks to
net and color band a few more individuals of each species (we saw several
unbanded birds) and practice resighting with anyone who would like to
participate. We'll announce the time and date, but in the meantime, we
encourage birders to visit the site and try your hand at finding
color-banded birds and accurately recording their combinations. It's
challenging, fun and rewarding work, and the data will be invaluable to
test whether or not this pilot citizen science project can be expanded
across the landscape. Learn more at
http://vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/citizen-scientist-pilot-project/.

Thanks in advance to all of you who can contribute your time, patience and
sharp eyes!

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x1
http://vtecostudies.org/

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]