Hey folks,

I'm a little behind on getting caught up with my bird reports. Yesterday I covered Mink Brook twice, once in late morning and again in the evening. Bird highlights between both trips was several Tennessee Warblers singing and foraging, a male Wilson's Warbler, a bold Canada Warbler, my FOS Ruby-throated Hummingbird, a very vocal male Rose-breasted Grosbeak, the continuing 2 Indigo Buntings, and a soaring Cooper's Hawk (I don't see those too often around here).

I wasn't able to cover my typical route along the brook, and therefore missed out on a number of species, as I got sidetracked twice. The first time I got sidetracked, in the morning, was because I found what was by far the best find of the day, and a species I had never seen before. No, not a bird, but a Wood Turtle!!! I spent some time with the turtle, observing and photographing it. I think this is a pretty significant find as I've been told that Mink Brook is not a known breeding site for them (at least in recent years). I also saw an Eastern Garter Snake at about the same time.
The second time I got sidetracked, in the evening, was because I had an interesting Empidonax flycatcher that I was following around and photographing for a long time. It was non vocal, even though a Least Flycatcher could be heard calling in the distance, and there was something about the bird that just didn't quite seem right for Least to me. I've gone through my pics and I'm leaning towards Yellow-bellied Flycatcher- the tail is very short, slightly forked and narrows toward the base, and to me the bill looks medium in width. The bird also had a greenish back and has a rounded-chest look to it when perched. However, I'm not 100% confident with this ID (still can't quite rule out Least) so I'm leaving it as a possible YBFL for now until I can spend some more time with the pics and get some outside opinions. If anyone is interested in me sending them some pics, let me know.

Notable birds below:

Notables: 1) Mink Brook wetlands, 2) Quinn Trail, 3) Mink Brook preserve
Cooper's Hawk- 0, 0, 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird- 0, 1, 0
Least Flycatcher- 1, 0, 1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher???- 0, 0, 1
Great-crested Flycatcher- 1, 0, 1
Red-eyed Vireo- 1, 0, 1
House Wren- 0, 2, 2
Veery- 2, 2, 1
Ovenbird- 0, 0, 2
Black-and-white Warbler- 3, 0, 2
Tennessee Warbler- 2, 1, 1
Common Yellowthroat- 1, 6, 2
American Redstart- 2, 6, 1
Northern Parula- 1, 0, 1
Magnolia Warbler- 0, 1, 1
Yellow Warbler- 1, 1, 0
Chestnut-sided Warbler- 0, 1, 3
Pine Warbler- 1, 0, 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler- 0, 0, 1
Black-throated Green Warbler- 1, 0, 2
Canada Warbler- 0, 1, 0
Wilson's Warbler- 0, 1, 0
Rose-breasted Grosbeak- 0, 1, 0
Indigo Bunting- 0, 0, 2

Cheers,
Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]