I did a bit more research. There is a no feeding bear law in VT. But the
rules under the law seem to be rather vague still, other than, no feeding
bears, period. Under the FAQs about bear on VTFWD page, see
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/learn_more/living_with_wildlife/bear_aware/living_with_black_bears_faqs/,
it says:

What time of year can I feed birds in my yard without attracting black
bears?

You can put a bird
​ ​
feeder out on December 1, or after the onset of prolonged snowy winter
weather. You should take a birdfeeder down by April 1 at the latest.

If there is an early spring with melted snow and warm weather, it is a good
idea to take your bird feeder down early. Bird seed is extremely high in
fat and is very difficult for hungry bears to resist.

This contradicts their press release in 2015 which "suggests" april 1 - Nov
1.

Then another FAQ says this:

Is it legal to feed black bears in Vermont?

It is against the law to intentionally feed black bears in Vermont,
regardless of whether or not that person is hunting black bears. This
includes knowingly leaving out food that is not intended for black bears
but is attracting bears anyway, including bird-feeders, dog food left
outside, or unattended garbage. It may also in some cases include
unprotected bee hives and chicken coops.

So, my take is that they don't have a specific date for bird feeders per se
​ under the law​
, but that you should not allow them to feed on them. Maybe someone will
find out more from them if they call them.
​ Bottom line, don't let bears become problem. Be responsible with your
bird feeders. ​

Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x2

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]