Laura Derksen (University of Toronto) will present:
"Love in the Time of HIV: Testing as a Signal of Risk"
at 3:00pm on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 in 310 Silsby

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch , or dinner at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GGEvcdfO1JIofQ9mYRGklA9qEVib2PP7AqZ5N-eRcSc/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

This paper develops a model in which the decision to seek an HIV test is a signal of infection, and those who seek a test are subject to statistical discrimination from potential sexual partners. We evaluate an information experiment designed to test the theory, and find evidence that this form of discrimination is a significant barrier to HIV testing. In particular, we provide information at the community level on the public benefit of antiretroviral therapy: because the drugs prevent HIV transmission, a person who is tested and treated for HIV is a relatively safe sexual partner. This information reduces discrimination and increases HIV testing, with the strongest effects in communities where the new information becomes common knowledge. The results demonstrate that discrimination towards HIV positive individuals can be due to rational behavior by a misinformed public, and that providing new information can be an effective way to mitigate its effects.

To unsubscribe from the ECONOMICS-SEMINARS list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ECONOMICS-SEMINARS