The small group working on the 'shared index' project document for the IvyPlus ULs meeting in May had a productive discussion today and the document is beginning to take shape.  We would like to have specific use cases to demonstrate what this project will allow us to do. It is realized that not all use cases will apply at all institutions.  We think attribution will be useful for the UL's, so please add to the list below and "sign on" to use cases below so far that are appealing.  We may opt out of adding institution names, but it will be easier to remove than to add later.

I need to hear from you by noon, next Monday, April 25th.  Our turnaround time is to have the draft document distributed to Policy, IT, and Collections groups that afternoon for feedback and edits.  The Policy Group will review the document on Friday, April 29th with the final draft distributed to the ULs on May 3, a week prior to their meeting in Chicago.

Appendix A - Use Case Scenarios - Examples of why this is worth doing; what do we gain?

Possible types of use cases and what is the benefit/gain over current environment:

  1.  BD results as part of initial search (e.g. Duke?)
  2.  Available to expand search easy from local to partnership (e.g. Chicago, others?)
  3.  Stand alone BD search to improve UX.  Also as placeholder until 1 or 2 above can be implemented at an institution.
  4.  Collection analysis
  5.  Data mining for record enhancement (Chicago)
We aren't concerned at this point about how the uses cases would be done or managed, just the ideas of what we want or can gain from a shared index.  Let me know if you have any questions.
Jennifer

Jennifer Taxman | Associate Librarian for User Engagement & Technologies
Dartmouth College | Hanover NH 03755
6025 Baker Berry Library, Room 115
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 603-646-2237