Dear DOC,

The trails are drying out, rivers are rising, and the grass is brightening on the Green (under this morning’s coating of snow….)  — and more than 100 DOC students have returned from club- and OPO-sponsored spring break trips.  Welcome back!

This Newsletter’s first topic is a note from Brian Kunz about recent conversations and efforts in the DOC to be more welcoming and inclusive, followed by notes from Rory Gawler about protecting and maintaining fragile trails, from Morgan Haas about Leave-No-Trace ethics and training, and an update from Dan Nelson about the Ravine Lodge and Ledyard Canoe Club facilities projects as well as an upcoming sea kayaking program.

INCLUSIVITY

In order to preserve the outdoor places we love, we need to make sure everyone realizes their value. One of the many reasons that is important is because of their value for peaceful contemplation, adventure, solitude, beauty and a place to make honest friendships and to learn from others.

The club sees the need to offer a welcome that can resonate with everyone regardless of their color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, faith or other differences.  There is a need to meet other groups and individuals on campus on their turf to better understand how to extend a welcome that is open, honest and sustained.

Winter term the club met with Wayne Hare, a former OPO employee and African-American outdoor professional who spent a large part of his career in the National Park Service in the West.  He spoke about his experience canyoneering, a new club interest, and he spoke of inclusivity.  Many were struck by his words and some spent time with him to learn more about this complex and sensitive topic.

He was invited back to sit on a panel after the screening of the documentary “An American Ascent,” a film about a group of black Americans who attempted to ascend Denali two years ago. The producer, one of the climbers, and Wayne spoke after the show and took questions. Then, student representatives from the Men of Color Alliance, Dartmouth’s African Students Association, and the DOC spoke about their experience and hopes.  The event was well attended and led to more discussions during winter term.  The last issue of the “D” printed an OP-Ed piece written by Michaela  Caplan ‘18 and endorsed by the DOC Directorate.  http://www.thedartmouth.com/2016/03/08/caplan-inclusivity-in-the-doc/ The D article went out to alumni via chubbernet, and the response was overwhelmingly positive in terms of support for this as a crucial issue for the DOC, the efforts the club and individuals are making, and our DOC alumni’s own experiences and perspectives.

The history of race in America is painful, unresolved and often misunderstood.  Conversations can be  difficult and feelings are sometimes hurt.  Progress may be slow and painful.  As this term unfolds, I hope we can support each other and find ways to welcome all of the diversity on campus in a way that creates lasting friendships and supports the DOC mission of furthering “through camaraderie in the out of doors of a diverse and inclusive membership, the educational objectives of Dartmouth College and its principles of community…”

Yours in the Out of doors,

Brian Kunz, Deputy Director

TRAILS

Spring is a time of renewal and many creatures emerge from hibernation. It's also a time of MUD. While it's exciting to be heading out into the sunshine and enjoying the out of doors without 17 layers of down and fleece, it's important to help preserve and conserve the resources we need to enjoy the out of doors. Trails are particularly fragile at this time of year. Even if you choose a trail that is likely still frozen on the upper section (remember your traction devices), there's going to be a section below that is muddy, soft and vulnerable. I'm not going to tell you that you can't hike for the next six weeks, but try to choose your trails carefully. Rocky trails like Gorge Brook will stand up better to your boot soles than soft trails like Moose Mt. And I will say this: get your feet muddy. Do not attempt to walk around mud. When we do this, as we are naturally inclined to do, it creates a much larger impacted area around the trail, which is not only unattractive, it also damages soil and causes further erosion.

Generations of Dartmouth students before you have put thousands of hours of work into creating and maintaining these trails for you and the greater community. Do your best to go gently on them.

Also, consider leading or joining a trail maintenance trip. While spring is a non-ideal time for hiking, it's the best time for trail maintenance. Clearing drainage, cutting blowdowns and placing stepping stones is a never-ending source of satisfaction and good will. See me if you need expertise, guidance or further inspiration.

LEAVE NO TRACE

As the DOC, we have a huge presence in the outdoors around here. As Spring arrives, all of us will be venturing outside. With that in mind, please take the time to review Leave No Trace. Yes, we want to send as many people as we can outdoors, but we also want to fool everyone else by way of our minimal impact on the local areas.

[7Principles.png]

If you have any questions about Leave No Trace come talk to me!
Want a LNT trainer certification? I’ll be running a few classes this term – more info to come!

Happy Spring Y’all,
Morgan

FACILITIES

As most of you know, following more than a decade of consideration and a couple years of planning about the long-deferred structural and space needs of the Ravine Lodge, we will soon be replacing the Lodge with a energy-efficient timber frame structure, with lots of log elements.  Depending on success of fundraising and trustee approval, construction could start as early at this fall, after the conclusion of DOC Trips, with the goal of opening the new Lodge in time for 2017 Trips.   There is some information about the project posted in the lobby of Robinson (to the right of the model of the current Lodge), but for more details, as well as an amazing “fly-through” video of the new Lodge, go to this website:  http://giving.dartmouth.edu/moosilauke/index.html   (Keep in mind that the video is an artist’s representation, and not an exact rendering of every detail…)  We’re in the process of planning some special “farewell events” for students, alumni and friends to celebrate the current Lodge, including the program at the DOC banquet up at the Lodge later this spring as well as a special day and dinner hosted by the DOC on July 16.

The Trustees have also approved moving ahead with schematic design for a much-needed replacement for the Ledyard Canoe Club facilities.   The Ledayrd leadership, OPO staff, and colleagues from the College’s Planning and Design office have been working closely with the architects to come up with a very functional and attractive design that minimizes environmental impact on the challenging and heavily-regulated waterfront site.   We should have images of this planned project to share soon.

SEA KAYAKING PROGRAM

Outdoor Programs will be sponsoring a week-long sea kayaking program, June 13-19, starting from Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada, on the Bay of Fundy. We will be working with SeaScapes Kayak Tours <http://www.seascapekayaktours.com/> . Seascapes and its founder Bruce Smith have a great reputation for skill and safety, environmental stewardship, and teaching effectiveness. And Seascapes was selected as part of Outside Magazines Best of Travel Awards – The 30 Most Incredible Trips to Take in 2015<http://www.outsideonline.com/1957691/30-most-incredible-trips-take-2015>. The area where we will be paddling provides some of the best sea kayaking on the east coast, known for its large tidal range; whales, porpoises, seals and other marine life; and beautiful natural scenery. The trip involves one day of driving from Hanover (departing the day after Commencement), the 5-day seminar, and a day's drive returning to Hanover.  Financial aid and PE credit are available.   For more information, see:  http://outdoors.dartmouth.edu/opo/events.html and contact Dan Nelson with questions or to sign up.

Have fun out there!

The OPO Staff

Daniel M. Nelson, Director
Dartmouth Outdoor Programs