From: Derek Stearns Roff <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: March 10, 2016 at 18:10:10 GMT+2
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Searching suggestions for language research hardware, software, tools

Do you have any suggestions on how to spend several thousand dollars for research tools?  This would be for multiple items, each of which could be used by a variety of people over multiple  years, to do different kinds of language research.  Items that could be used by undergrads, grad students, and faculty/staff members, so the learning curve should not be too terribly steep.  Sign language as well as spoken language.  Camcorders and portable audio recorders are obvious, as are hard drives to store data.  What are some things that are less obvious?

I would love to hear your experience, your recommendations, and your brain storming.  What do you and your students use, that you love?  What do you wish you had bought?  What have you seen that is promising?  Don’t forget software and accessories.  I would also be interested in research techniques that you have come up with, using common items.  Time lapse photography for researching communication styles?  Research iPad tricks?  What else?

Share your ideas, inventions, discoveries, and successes with me, and I will summarize for the group.

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Roff