Course listings:

Writing 8: Writing with Media

Spring 2016,  2A,  ART

Professor: Megan McIntyre

New and social media have changed what counts as writing. These new spaces and mediums have changed how we connect, how we network, and how we protest. As we investigate questions about the political and personal nature of writing with new and social media, we will

*Participate in ongoing conversations via social media.

*Produce multi-media compositions that address a specific audience and illuminate issues important to you.

*Reflect on work by theorists in writing studies (Colin Brooke, Nathaniel Rivers, Gregory Ulmer, and others) and technology (Bruno Latour, N. Katherine Hayles, Donna Haraway, and others) as well as your processes of composing and the finished projects you create in the course.

As we engage in these activities, we’ll also practice using video, audio, and photo editing software as well as social media sites including Twitter, Instagram, and/or Vine.

Prerequisite: Writing 5 (or its equivalent Writing 2-3 or Humanities 1)
Writing 9 - Composition: Theory and Practice

Spring 2016,  ART,  12

Professor: Sara Chaney

This course surveys the theory and scholarship of composition.

Inaugurated by the Dartmouth Seminar of 1966, the field of composition has sought to explain what writing ability is and how it is learned. Along the way, we have grappled with core questions:

•What is writing?
•How do we learn to write?
•What is the relationship between writing and other abilities, like reading or oral performance?
•How is our writing affected by culture or technology?
•Is writing ability transferable? In other words, if you learn to write well in one context, does that mean you will write well in another?
In this course, students will explore these questions and learn how scholars have answered them. They will also have opportunities to research and study a range of sub-topics, according to individual interest, such as writing and childhood development, professional/technical writing, writing and disability studies, writing and disciplinary knowledge, writing center scholarship, and many others.
Prerequisite: Writing 5 (or its equivalent Writing 2-3 or Humanities 1)

WRIT 44.02:Science and Technology Writing and Presentation
Spring 2016,  ART,  10A
Professor: Deanne Harper
In science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, your ability to present data and information in different genres and media will be important to your professional success. Writing, revision, and presentation are key components in the design process, which requires both internal and external communication. This course focuses on individual work within and across disciplines including creative research, literature reviews, papers, grant proposals, poster design, and media driven presentations. Assignments may be adapted for students already at work on research projects in their discipline. As the design process is also collaborative, assignments offer occasional opportunities to work in teams.
Prerequisite: Writing 5 (or its equivalents Writing 2-3 or Humanities 1).
SPEE 26: How New Media Shape Our Lives: Rhetoric, Theory, and Praxis
Spring 2016, ART, 2A
Professor: Svetlana (Yana) Grushina
In this course, we will use classical and contemporary rhetorical theory to analyze unique modes of “speaking publicly” afforded by new media platforms, such as Second Life and Twitter, that were nonexistent prior to these platforms’ creation.
The course will encourage you to rethink and reflect on how we, as members of the digital society, are changing and are being changed by these new modes of digital public speaking. The course will engage your creativity as you interact with others via new media projects. A main goal of the course is to help you become a more knowledgeable, reflective, and empathetic citizen of the digital society as well as a better public speaker in face-to-face and virtual contexts.
No prerequisites