Good Morning!

Please take a look at these sessions coming up in the next 2 weeks at DCAL.  Be sure to register to get a spot!

New Faculty Workshop-Supporting Students: The Undergraduate Dean’s Office and You
12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, February 16, 2016
In this workshop we will discuss how the Undergraduate Dean’s Office supports students in their learning and lives at Dartmouth. How can faculty and undergraduate deans (and students) work together? What should you do when you suspect a student is in need of support? What is your role as a faculty member when a student comes to you in crisis? Bring your questions and concerns; several deans will be on hand to help work through possible scenarios.
Register for this workshop: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285095

New Faculty Workshop-Using Student Groups in Your Teaching
12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, February 17, 2016
In this interactive workshop we will discuss when and why to use groups in your courses. How to form effective groups and get them ready to perform? What is your role in student group work? How can you design and assess group assignments? How can Canvas and other tools support group work?
Register for this workshop: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285098

Teaching Writing, Faculty Disciplines, and Adaptable Knowledge
12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 18, 2016
Special Guest Presenter: Chris Anson, Distinguished University Professor and Director of the Campus Writing and Speaking Program at North Carolina State University.
Writing courses at Dartmouth are taught by faculty with a very diverse range of disciplinary backgrounds. Students therefore experience within their first Dartmouth year the need to adapt the reading, writing and speaking knowledge they develop in one course to the new demands of the next course (as well as to courses they are taking outside the first-year writing sequence). This Institute for Writing and Rhetoric session will explore our disciplines and our disciplinary identities as faculty, and the way these identities shape what we value and teach, in relation to what we know from research and practice about how to best foster students’ ability to develop writing knowledge they can successfully adapt across contexts
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2315903

Teaching and the Gift of Failure
12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, February 24, 2016
What's the best way to motivate students to own their education and develop resilience? Research has shown that the key to all these things is intrinsic motivation, or motivation that comes from within. In The Gift of Failure, local author Jessica Lahey summarizes the current research on autonomy-supportive parenting and teaching, competence, rewards, praise, and failure. Register before February 17th to receive a copy of the book for the discussion.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2292232
Ms Lahey will also give a public talk On February 24th from 4-5:30pm in Haldeman 41

Creative Commons: Using it to share and find creative and educational works
9:00am - 10:30am, Friday, February 26, 2016
Creative Commons is "a non-profit organization that enables the sharing and use of creativity and knowledge through free legal tools." This workshop will show you how to use Creative Commons to license your own work and search for materials that can be used for teaching, presentation, or publication.  There will be opportunities for hands-on exploration of Creative Commons as well as time for discussion and questions. Please bring your laptop or device!
Register for this presentation:  http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285099

Stay warm this weekend!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST