Greetings!

Last week, new DartmouthX courses were announced.  These five new DartmouthX courses will begin production in 2016 and 2017. They are the second round of massive open online courses, or MOOCs, that Dartmouth is creating in partnership with the nonprofit online learning consortium edX.  You can read more about the courses and the DartmouthX initiative here: http://now.dartmouth.edu/2016/01/five-new-dartmouthx-courses-announced

Upcoming events:
Arguing about Argumentation
12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 4, 2016
What are we asking for when we ask students to write an argument? Within a narrow understanding, we might understand argumentation to mean the delivery of a set of rhetorical moves: claims, grounds, warrants, evidence, reasoning, concessions, refutations. More broadly, we might hold that everything is an argument, that all texts necessarily constitute argumentation. This session will consider this range of understanding and explore its consequences for teaching argument. This workshop for faculty is sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2305180

Ten Things You Can Do to Disrupt Bias in the Classroom
4:00pm - 5:30pm, Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Implicit bias is the bias in judgment and/or behavior that results from subtle cognitive processes (e.g., implicit attitudes and stereotypes) that often operate at a level below conscious awareness and without intentional control.  Implicit bias can shape classroom interactions in ways that impede student learning. This workshop will provide faculty with specific techniques aimed at disrupting bias in the classroom and fostering learning for all students.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2299393

Teaching Science Seminar
12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 11, 2016
How can MOOCs and other digital resources be used to enhance on-campus teaching and learning? Vicki May (Thayer School of Engineering) will talk about her experiences organizing and teaching one of Dartmouth’s first MOOCs, ENGSx01: The Engineering of Structures Around Us.  She will share some of the data from the MOOC and will discuss how she has used the resources developed through the MOOC in her on-campus courses. Vicki hopes that her presentation will start a discussion related to teaching and learning: How can MOOCs and other digital resources change or enhance teaching and learning on-campus? What digital resources do you use in your courses? What types of digital resources would you like to develop for your courses?
Register for this seminar: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285097

Enjoy your week!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>