After the unfortunate loon event on Lake Morey I'm so happy to report the
rescue of 5 adult loons on NH's Lake Sunapee.

It all began when Jamie Hess of the Nordic Skater mentioned seeing 3 loons
in a small puddle of open water on Sunday on a skating listserv post. I was
not about to let what happened on Morey happen again! Yesterday, a group of
us joined John Cooley, Senior Biologist with LPC (Loon Preservation
Committee) in a rescue attempt. He was well equipped with an immersion suit
(recently purchased and used only once before), an aluminum jon-boat, nets,
totes etc. It took skill, nimbleness, and patience.

While scouting for a quicker way to shore a second hole was found with 2
more loons! In 5 hours we were able to rescue all 5 loons. I can only
wonder how many more might still be out there.

Loons need a long runway for take off which they were unable to do from
this small pocket of water which they kept open with their bills. Four of
the five loons were incapable of flight, as they had molted their primary
feathers, which happens this time of year. One of the loons was banded in
1998 on Sand Pond in Marlow, NH. After arriving at LPC they were banded,
blood samples and other measurements were taken. They were then on their
way to an Avian rehab center and will hopefully soon be released on the
ocean.

Unfortunately, with our changing climate we will most likely be seeing even
more of this. If a loon is heard or seen this time of year either LPC, VFWD
(Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department), or VCE (Vermont Center for
Ecostudies) should be notified. LPC's John Cooley did an amazing job with
these rescues and will have much to share with his colleagues.

[image: Inline image 3][image: Inline image 6][image: Inline image 5][image:
Inline image 4]

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]