I stopped at the Wilder dam overflow this morning on my way into work. 5 minutes of no birds. Then I happened to notice this dark passerine perched on the ice at the river's edge. The bird was on the New Hampshire side, just 50 meters downriver from the overflow. My first thought was Red-winged Blackbird based on the size and the dark coloration. But then I got this bird in my binocs and I watched him walk and hop along the shoreline and probe around the rocks. After 3 minutes he flew back towards some trees about 10 meters from the water. No wing bars were noticeable in flight.

Admittedly, this observation was made via binocs from 250 m so I couldn't see eye color or distinguish dark brown/black probably. A first year male Red-winged Blackbird is certainly a possibility as well as Rusty Blackbird.

This was about 9 a,.
Jason

--
Jason M. Hill, PhD
Post-doctoral Researcher

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]: UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]: CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]