From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: RE: #10469 Close Captions for films
Date: January 14, 2016 at 12:06:21 PM CST
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Colleagues,

In response to Mike Jones’ question, at BYU we also use http://opensubtitle.org<http://opensubtitle.org/> as well as http://subsmax.com<http://subsmax.com/>, but I believe we have the best luck with the former. To prepare videos for use in Ayamel (the International Media Library), we also are able to lift the subtitles off the DVDs, when they are present of course, using software that does optical character recognition (OCR) and converts those into a standard format such as SRT or VTT. We are then able to make available to our students the MP4 of the video along with the captions for access using Ayamel. Because we own the video, the MP4 is password protected, and is being used in a course, our intellectual property gurus have determined this falls within the provisions of fair use of copyright law.

Speaking of Ayamel, the ACTFL Distance Learning SIG is sponsoring a webinar I will do in two weeks on this innovative system: 2 PM MST (4 PM EST) on 27 January. Sign up for this free online event here.<https://byu.zoom.us/webinar/register/9cf2f8e64425e2b27c24e00bf0acd2b8> Ayamel is the result of a joint effort between American Councils for International Education and Brigham Young University (BYU) that was funded by The Language Flagship and BYU.
[cid:image001.png@01D14EB8.D976DE10]
I will add that it is great that some colleagues realize the value in having the L2 captions available. Despite the growing body of literature that supports their use and connects their availability to learner success in the language acquisition process.

Cheers,

Mike Bush
BYU