Greetings!

Here are a few of the events happening at DCAL in the next few weeks:

Faculty Voice Group, 4:30-6pm on Tuesdays, Beginning January 12th
The Faculty Voice Group has been helping faculty, new and old, to improve their speaking voice and presence in the classroom, for lecturing and for leading discussions effectively. Relaxation, vocal expressiveness and strength, confidence, and finding the enjoyment in speaking are just some of the areas explored. Professor James Rice (Theater) leads this group; email him for more information ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).
Register for this series: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285087

New Faculty Workshop-Supporting Students: The Undergraduate Dean’s Office and You, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, January 20, 2016
In this workshop we will discuss how the Undergraduate Dean’s Office supports students in their learning and lives at Dartmouth. How can faculty and undergraduate deans (and students) work together? What should you do when you suspect a student is in need of support? What is your role as a faculty member when a student comes to you in crisis? Bring your questions and concerns; several deans will be on hand to help work through possible scenarios.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2285095

Grading Student Writing, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, January 21, 2016
This workshop for faculty, sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric, will focus on the difficult task of assigning grades to student writing. We assign, we read, and we respond to student essays. But the most challenging moments often occur when we grade those same essays. In this session, we will work to reduce some of the angst and uncertainty that comes with grading by considering our evaluation rationales and exploring the common ground of our grading practices.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2305174

Lunch is provided at all midday events, please register so we have an accurate headcount for food!

We’ve added a couple more events to the schedule, the updated DCALendar is attached

Cheers!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>