Error during command authentication.

HMI @now

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "William K. Corbett Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: January 5, 2016 at 10:46:15 AM EST
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HMI Apprentice Program Info Session - 1/7 @ 5pm in McNutt

Hi DOC folk,

This Thursday (1/7) at 5pm in the Reitman Room on the 2nd floor of McNutt, I’ll be holding an information session on the Apprentice program at High Mountain Institute (HMI) in Leadville, CO. HMI is a semester program for high-achieving 11th grade students that combines rigorous academics with advanced wilderness experiences (think NOLS combined with high school). I was the History Apprentice in the spring of 2011, and was the English teacher in 2012-13, and now I’m back in Hanover working in the admissions office. Please feel free to stop by and hear about this great way to get involved with outdoor education. If you can’t make it on Tuesday night, feel free to follow up with me via email.

For more on the program, see below.

Best,

Billy Corbett ‘10

*******************

The HMI Apprentice Program is a professional residency in traditional and outdoor education for college graduates.

At the High Mountain Institute, we believe deeply in the philosophy of education through experience. Apprentices will be immersed in an intense, semester-long seminar that combines formal lessons in educational techniques and philosophies of outdoor education, with a hands-on apprenticeship with the HMI Semester. Specifically, apprentices will participate, as both students and teachers, in the wilderness, academic, and residential components of the HMI Semester. Graduates of this program will be well prepared for employment in: outdoor or experiential education, boarding and traditional high schools, adventure recreation, and residential programs. Graduates will also be in an excellent position to pursue an advanced degree in education. The Apprentice Program has a partnership with Prescott College and Colorado College, allowing us to offer graduate credit to apprentices.

The High Mountain Institute Apprentice Program offers:

- Apprentice Wilderness Expedition Training: a two-week wilderness training course in the Sawatch Range of Colorado.

- Apprentice Seminar: Theory and Practice in Experiential Education: a seminar on educational techniques and philosophies.

- Mentorship with an HMI Semester faculty member in a specific subject area: American Literature, U.S. History, Natural Science, Spanish, Mathematics or Wilderness. The Wilderness Apprentice assists with the Practices and Principles Class and works closely with the Director of Wilderness Programs to create curriculum and plan trips.

- Participate and instruct on three two-week wilderness expeditions for the HMI Semester.

- Firsthand experience in a residential education environment.

- Option to receive graduate credit from Prescott College or Colorado College (at an additional cost).

- Career planning services throughout the semester to help explore possibilities for future employment.

http://www.hminet.org/programs/apprentice-program/about

To unsubscribe from the DMC list, please send [log in to unmask] a 500 word essay on the importance of proper helmet usage.