Dear DOC students, alumni and friends:

I'm writing to let you know about a series of winter weekend programs we are planning at the beautiful new (heated and insulated!) Class of 1965 Bunkhouse at Mount Moosilauke.   Led by Outdoor Programs staff and DOC leaders, some of these programs will be specifically instructional and will focus on specific winter-travel skills.  Others will be more independent, with the leader managing the facility and leading optional outings but with participants having the option to explore on their own.  The participation fee includes overnight accommodations at the '65 bunkhouse, meals, and any related instruction.   Participants will be responsible for their own equipment (many items available at Dartmouth Outdoor Rentals), snacks, and for getting themselves and their gear to the bunkhouse (which will probably require a ski or snowshoe up the Ravine Lodge access road from the main road) - unless other arrangements are made in connection with the specific program.  Please call 603-646-0351 to make a reservation or to contact the trip leader for more information.  A suggested equipment list will be provided to participants.  The costs are:  Students $75 (DOC financial aid available); Dartmouth Employees and Alumni $150; others $200.  Maximum group size is 10 (including leaders)

Programs

  *   Welcome Winter:  December 18-20 (Dan Nelson, leader)

     *
Pray for snow and plan to ski or snowshoe that Friday afternoon from the parking area on Rt. 118 to the '65 Bunkhouse, arriving in time for dinner.  After dinner we'll make sure that everyone has the appropriate gear for the conditions and the next day's outings, which could include ski touring, snowshoeing or winter hiking, depending on conditions.  After breakfast on Saturday we'll head out on the mountain, either in one group or several, depending on interests.  Instruction in backcountry ski touring and snowshoeing available, if snow conditions permit.  Story-telling and relaxing around the wood stoves in the bunkhouse Saturday afternoon and evening.   After breakfast on Sunday, head out for another adventure or enjoy cabin life.   Departure after lunch on Sunday.

  *   January 23-24 (Brian Kunz and Patrick Saylor '16 leaders)

     *   Explore Moosilauke on skis and snowshoes  January 23-24 (Brian Kunz and Patrick Saylor '16 - leaders)  Depart campus Saturday morning and haul supplies into the new winterized  '65 Bunkhouse.  Then explore the trails and return to the bunkhouse for a warm evening of eating and storytelling.  Sunday we will plan for an early start to summit and return to the bunkhouse to pack up and return to campus by 5 pm.  Instruction on winter dress, winter travel and comfort.  We will travel together from Hanover in a Dartmouth van and work together to arrive at the bunkhouse with all of our equipment and food.  Costs are as listed above.  Contact Brian Kunz for more information.

  *   February 5-7 (Rory Gawler, leader)

     *   Plan to ski or snowshoe that Friday afternoon from the parking area on Rt. 118 to the '65 Bunkhouse, arriving in time for a delicious dinner cooked by camp chef extraordinaire Rory Gawler '05.  After dinner we'll make sure that everyone has the appropriate gear for the conditions and the next day's outings, which could include ski touring, snowshoeing or winter hiking, depending on conditions.  After breakfast on Saturday we'll head out on the mountain, either in one group or several, depending on interests. Instruction in backcountry ski touring and snowshoeing available, if snow conditions permit.  Story-telling and relaxing around the wood stoves in the bunkhouse Saturday afternoon and evening.   After breakfast on Sunday, head out for another adventure or enjoy cabin life.   Departure after lunch on Sunday.

  *   March (date TBD):  (Morgan Haas, leader)

     *   Snowshoeing or early spring hiking, depending on weather and snow conditions.

Daniel M. Nelson, Director
Dartmouth Outdoor Programs
115 Robinson Hall
PO Box 9