From: Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: October 28, 2015 at 1:34:33 AM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: RE: #10431.2 (!) iSpraak- Speech Recognition for Student Pronunciation

Dear both,

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, I enjoyed Dan's presentation at IALLT very much, as well as the Google Speech API.

However, if I understand Edith's requirement of recording and listening correctly: I have set up such speech recognition assignments with similarly free - and since Windows 8 even easy to install - Microsoft speech recognition software  and an - also free - MS screen recorder.

The latter allows students to record both their voice and transcription, reflect, and redo their voice and screen recording, or, when happy with the result, submit, with their manual corrections of the automatic transcription as tracked changes in MS-Word , to the teacher, through a file upload assignment in the LMS.

Teachers can either avoid having to listen to numerous students by just evaluating the last frame of the screen recording (how many changes needed the student to make?)  or, when in doubt whether the automated speech recognition reflects what a human would have understood, rewind the screen recording to review selected segments of speech and speech recognition.

You can find more info on free software, supported languages and task design, and recognition examples, here: http://fltmag.com/speech-recognition-tools/. Since the release of Windows 8, students can easily run these assignments outside of the language center on their PCs at home.

Hth,
Thomas