Greetings!

This is what's coming up at DCAL for the week of October 19th:

Health, Safety & Liability: The Role of the Off-campus Program Faculty Director, 8:15am - 10:15am, Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Join new and experienced faculty program directors in an interactive session about some of the more challenging aspects associated with leading programs abroad — health, safety, and liability. Staff from the offices of Counseling & Human Development, General Counsel, Title IX Coordinator/Clery Act Compliance, Risk and Internal Controls, Dean of Undergraduate Students, Student Accessibility Services, Health Services, Safety & Security, and the Guarini Institute for International Education will join faculty program directors in the discussion.
Participants will have an opportunity to learn about best practices and policies, and they will also discuss Dartmouth case scenarios. If you've attended one of these sessions in the past you are welcome to join us again, share your experience, and bring forward new ideas and questions.
Light refreshments will be provided, please register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2143606

New Faculty Luncheon, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Now that some urgency about your class has been created by the book order due date on 10/23, why not capitalize on that energy and use it to start work on your syllabus!  This month, we’ll learn about Syllabus design, starting with learning outcomes. Preparing to teach a course next term? Learn how learning outcomes can help make course design decisions easier and effective for student learning.
Lunch will be provided, please register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2182986

Institute for Writing and Rhetoric Faculty Workshop: Claims and Evidence in Student’s First-Year Projects, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, October 22, 2015
Our learning outcomes call for students to support claims with evidence. What do we mean by evidence? What kinds of evidence matter to us? This interactive session, sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric, will begin with a brief review of what Institute studies have revealed about kinds of evidence our first-year students use in their work, and will focus on deliberating together about types of evidence as related to genres and disciplines and about how to foster students’ ability to flexibly adapt to the evidence demands of different contexts.
Lunch will be provided, pleas register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2153242

Copyright and Fair Use Guidelines for Course Materials: a “Know Your Copy Right” workshop, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Friday, October 23, 2015
Dartmouth’s new guidelines for use of copyrighted materials on course web sites, whether Canvas, Course Reserves, or other online systems, have been in place for a few months.  Librarians and instructional designers will explore frequently asked questions from faculty such as:  How can I know if my use of copyrighted materials for teaching falls under 'Fair Use'?  Is it OK to post PDFs of articles, chapters, or video materials in my Canvas site, and how much can I post?  I want some – but not all – of my Canvas website to be publicly available -- is this possible?  Bring your own questions and examples.  Facilitators will be Barbara DeFelice (Library), Scott S, Millspaugh (Educational Technologies) and David W. Sturges (Library).
Lunch will be provided, please register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/2199164

Also of interest to Faculty:

The project team will be discussing opportunities for Winter 2016 term, are you interested?
Carson 61 is on the lowest level of Carson, adjacent to the lowest level of the Berry side of the Baker/Berry Library.

Enjoy your weekend!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST