Hi Outdoorsy Folk!

First, '19s, welcome to the DOC! We're super psyched to have you, and it has been a blast getting to know a few of you already on outdoor adventures this term. I'm sure you found this out on First Year Trips, but we're so lucky to have the beautiful NH & VT wilderness right at our doorstep, so take advantage of it! Go exploring, try something new, and get outside!

New Assistant Director in OPO
It is my pleasure to welcome Morgan Haas to the Dartmouth and to the DOC! Morgan is joining as the Assistant Director for Leadership & Experiential Education. She comes from West Virginia University where she majored in Philosophy. Morgan has a wide variety of outdoor experiences including climbing, backcountry skiing, backpacking, and sea kayaking. Her office is the inner room in Robinson Hall 113, so stop by to say hello and welcome her to Dartmouth!

Major Events 15F Events
DOC Fall Weekend
October 3rd
Fall Weekend is a fantastic time to get outside (this coming weekend in fact)! All trips are beginner friendly, and they end at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge with delicious Lodge dinner. Most sub-clubs will be offering trips, so sign up at Robinson Hall (aka Robo) either Wednesday or Thursday this week!

Homecoming
October 9-10th
Not a specifically DOC event, but it's usually a beautiful weekend to get outside. (Also wanted to put it on everyone's radar in case you didn't know when it was)

The Fifty
October 16-17th
From Friday into Saturday teams will hike from Hanover to Moosilauke Ravine Lodge along the Appalachian Trail. The DOC maintains this 53.6 miles of trail, and teams will attempt to hike it in one stretch during this time frame. There will be opportunities to either hike or support the event, so keep an eye on blitz for more information!

Dinner with President Hanlon
October 21st
The DOC will be having a dinner with President Hanlon at Moosilauke that night. More info to follow, mark your calendars if you're interested in joining!

DOC Formal
October 26th
On that Sunday evening, DOC folk will clean up for a fun evening of dinner (catered by Moosilauke), dancing, and fun at the DOC House on Occum Pond! Mark your calendars!

Class of '66 Bunkhouse Work
Ongoing throughout the fall, students and alums will be working together to build a new bunkhouse at Moosilauke! There will usually be weekly trips heading up to help with the construction, so head up to the lodge to help with the construction. It's a fantastic way to spend the weekend, and you'll definitely meet fun alumni while you're up there (free lodge dinner too)!

The Fall DOC Directorate
President - Spencer Chu '16
Vice Presidents - Kassie Amann '16 & Alex Lochoff '17
Treasurer - Patrick Saylor '16
Cabin & Trail - Katie Yu '16 & Shane Weisberg '16
Ledyard Canoe Club - Nate Goss '16 & Ellen Davenport '16
Mountaineering Club - Kenzie Clark '17 & Gabe Boning '18
Mountain Biking Club - Josie Nordrum '17 & Patrick Saylor '16
Winter Sports Club - Patrick Saylor '16 & Kenzie Clark '17
Women in the Wilderness - Jessie Colin '18 & Ursula Jongebloed '18
Bait & Bullet - Logan Briggs '16 & Nick Rizik '18
Organic Farm Club - Ursula Jongebloed '18
Ski Patrol - Connor Gibson '16
Alpine Ski Club - Ned Feist '18
Nordic Ski Club - Phoebe Novello '18
Environmental Studies Chair - Fabian Stocek '18
Safety Chair - Fredrik Eriksson '16

Get Outside
I hope everyone has a great fall term and is able to go on a bunch of outdoors adventures!

Best,
-Spencer Chu '16, Dartmouth Outing Club President

P.S. Thanks for bearing with the long email! Here's an outdoorsy picture and cliche quote for your time:
[cid:d96ea6ec-baeb-4e59-85d4-4a9a03cada5b]
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do then by the ones you did do. So throw off some bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain