From: Matthew W Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: #10385 OS X Character prediction and placement tests
Date: June 10, 2015 at 11:07:24 PM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Adan.

We encountered two problems with completion on our placement tests. The first, as others have pointed out, was with auto-complete.  We added the autocomplete attribute to the input tag, as well as a few others for good measure in other tests. Since these attributes aren't really standard, honoring them is really up to the browser.

<input autocorrect='off' autocapitalize='off' spellcheck='false' autocomplete='off'  type="text" name="fieldname" size="30">

The second thing we did for Japanese tests was to try avoid using the system keyboard altogether when writing kana sections (useful if what you're trying to do is ask students to type out the kana primitives — for sounds — rather than hoping they will produce the kanji).  For this, we developed a floating kana palette.  To use a custom floating javascript palette, we needed to add even more attributes to our input fields: an onfocus attribute to set a variable to know which form field to target from the panel.

<input autocorrect='off' autocapitalize='off' spellcheck='false' autocomplete='off'  type="text" name="fieldname" size="30" onfocus="focusedField = this; return true;">

In operation, the panel looks a little bit like this:

We weren't using a set platform like Sakai, and thus had total control over the form generation routines.  Either of these suggestions might have only limited use unless you're able to tinker with certain parts of Sakai.

Let me know if I can provide more details on either of these cases if they seem like they might be of some use.

-=- matt

Matthew W. Taylor, IT Director
WCAS Multimedia Learning Center
Northwestern University