Dimitra Politi (Ediburgh) will present:
"The Effects of the Generalized Use of Iodized Salt on Occupational Patterns in Switzerland"
at 3pm on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 in 312 Silsby

***THERE ARE STILL TWO SLOTS AVAILABLE; IF YOU ARE AVAILABLE AND WOULD LIKE TO MEET WITH DIMITRA PLEASE SIGN UP AT:***

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YdC6eA0jpKjKoLCZlnWzZs2lOFJzObLhIKcnQ4HbU1U/edit?usp=sharing

Abstract

I examine the impact of the successful salt iodization campaign in Switzerland in the 1920a and 1930s on occupational patterns. Iodized salt eradicated mental retardation inflicted in utero by lack of iodine. By exploiting variation in pre-existing conditions and in the timing of the intervention I show that cohorts born in previously highly deficient areas after the introduction of iodized salt self-selected into higher-paying occupations. I also find that occupational characteristics in treated areas changed, and that cohorts born after the intervention engaged to a higher degree in occupations with higher cognitive demands.

To unsubscribe from the ECONOMICS-SEMINARS list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ECONOMICS-SEMINARS