Good morning!

Here is a look at workshops and discussions happening at DCAL this week:

Fear(s) of Public Speaking in the Classroom: How to Talk About It and What to Do About It, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Whether we’re asking our students to prepare capstone end-of-term speeches or guiding regular in-class discussions, our students’ fears of public speaking are often inevitable factors of classroom communication. Even in speech classes, we sometimes struggle with the best ways to talk about these fears and the best ways to help our students work through them. In this session, speech professors Josh Compton and Yana Grushina will share some of their experiences with helping students with their fears of public speaking and will talk about what some of the latest research has found about best classroom practices to promote healthier, more effective public speaking environments. Sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=944892

Talking about Language and Culture-Monthly Discussion Group, 2:30pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, April 23, 2015
Using TV Commercials as Language teaching tool: A 30-second TV commercial brings to the classroom authentic linguistic and cultural content and a wide array of pedagogical possibilities. Commercials are not simply advertising ads; they are engaging stories in which characters engage in a real  dynamic of communication.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=945760

Have a great week!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>