Mette Foged (Copenhagen) will present:
"Immigrants' Effect on Native Workers: New Analysis on Longitudinal Data"
at 3pm on Wednesday, April 8, 2015 in 310 Silsby

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch, or dinner at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBDBcmMwlS4VvXavWmXGYU_jbuefkKV8vxhmc4YWkY4/edit?usp=sharing

"I am excited to introduce Mette Foged, a post-doc trained in labor and international economics at Copenhagen, who will be visiting Dartmouth in April and May.  She is doing innovative research on immigration which takes advantage of large scale policy-induced variation, a rarity in immigration research.  The paper she will be presenting, co-authored with Giovanni Peri, takes advantage of the random assignment of immigrants to public housing in Denmark to study how native-born workers adjust to less-skilled immigrant inflows.  It has already received considerable attention in the popular press.  She has ongoing related work which I think will also help fill the near total void in our understanding of the impact of immigration policy.  Her research is described here: http://www.econ.ku.dk/foged/research.htm"

Ethan

Abstract

Using longitudinal data on the universe of workers in Denmark during the period 1991-2008 we track the labor market outcomes of low skilled natives in response to an exogenous inflow of low skilled immigrants. We innovate on previous identification strategies by considering immigrants distributed across municipalities by a refugee dispersal policy in place between 1986 and 1998. We find that an increase in the supply of refugee-country immigrants pushed less educated native workers (especially the young and low-tenured ones) to pursue less manual-intensive occupations. As a result immigration had positive effects on native unskilled wages, employment and occupational mobility.