Please note that because we expect the Connecticut River north of Wilder Dam to be frozen over this weekend, the outing will head south below the Wilder Dam. Details below.
Spring Migratory Waterfowl Field TripSaturday, March 218:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Please join us for a birding outing to look for migratory waterbirds and other bird bird species along the Connecticut River and nearby environs. The walk is free and open to the public and will be lead by George Clark.
With the river likely to be largely ice covered for a considerable distance northward from Wilder Dam, we'll head southward by vehicle on the VT side to visit open water sites where waterbirds have been seen in recent days.
Participants should bring binoculars and scopes if available, and dress warmly. A total of a mile or more of walking might be necessary over fairly level terrain but with a possible snow/ice cover on which foot traction devices might be useful.
Road Instructions: Because of very limited parking space in certain sites to be visited, we strongly encourage carpooling if at all possible. Our initial meeting place will be at 8:00 AM in the commuter parking lot off River Road in Norwich, VT. If coming from Hanover, cross the Ledyard Bridge into VT, then take an immediate right turn onto River Road. The parking area is the unpaved lot imnedtaely on your left
For those coming from the south, there'll be a secondary meeting site around 8:20 AM near Wilder Dam. To reach this secondary meeting location, from Exit 12 off I-91 in Wilder, VT, turn east toward US Route 5. On reaching Route 5 (Hartford Ave.), turn left. Continue (northward) to the fourth right, turning onto Depot Street. Take the next left (onto Norwich Ave.), and then an immediate right turn over the bridge to Passumpsic Avenue. At Passumpsic Avenue turn right toward Wilder Dam. The parking lot swill be about 100 yards down on the right. Enter at at a break in the guard rail.
Co-sponsored with th Mascoma Chapter of New Hampshire Audubon